Does Medicaid pay for private rooms? - AgingCare.com

Does Medicaid pay for private rooms?

Its hard for me to share a room do to my mental status and physical status also.

17

Answers

Tired1of4: Really? Could you be any more less acrimonious?

Hugemom: Kudos!

...and thank you "huge mom for trying to report my comments as "personal attacks, (I assume it was you based on the fact the only comment that was removed was mine saying that "I assume you didn't "find ways around Medicare/medicade rules but rather the facility found other avenues, etc" ...and by you trying to have them removed although they are not even close to personal attacks it simply appears that you have a personal issue, with me, even tho we are strangers. If you have any further issues with me kindly deal with me via my profile... thanks.

..cont; to "huge mom" .. and any mental health diagnosis that may accompany the poster, Medicade/Medicare will already have that info within their data based per his or her/his physician files... and if not yet, any facility will require the physicians history of the poster before allowing the poster to reside.

...well "huge mom, I didnt ask why these pages and boards exist, and I can bet their original intentions were not to be giving wrong, misguided or confusing info, but theres allot of that on this and others ...and to be straight forward, this particular poster didnt ask for "experiences, she/he asked if Medicare/Medicade allowed this or that regarding rooms. That was a direct question that is better answered by the entity itself and then any facility this poster is interested in residing. Although I can understand you feeling the need to tell me what these "sites are meant for, based on much of the advice given on these "threads by means of "experiences (examples number into the thousands) the advice is not always healthy nor helpful, nor accurate. Now, when speaking in regard to Medicade and Medicare, stories will not matter their rules are governed by set regulatory commissions and they don't let them waiver to the side simply because of a story.

Tired1, the reason for the pages and boards on this website is for people to get information from people who have already had these experiences and willing to share what we've learned. Medicare and Medicaid can only offer "rules are rules", and depending on the representative you get, some of them don't always, well...care about your issues. On this site, we can ask for suggestions from people who aren't bound by the rules of their company, and like I did with my mom, maybe find a way around those rules.

... If you can type this question, why are you not calling and discussing with Medicaid/ Medicare directly.

My mother never had a private room, neither while we were private pay or when we went to Medicaid when funds ran out. There were just a few private rooms at her nursing home, occupied by all private pay individuals. What worked for us was having a roommate, twice over the years, who was basically bedbound and out of it. It was quiet and peaceful from that side of the room. Actually sad to witness. But not any bother to my mother. If you can't get a private room perhaps a request for a certain type of roommate could be an answer.

I think if you are willing to pay the difference out of pocket, some (not all) facilities have private rooms. But you WILL pay more. My sister is totally off board with mother's care, but quick on the draw with the checkbook. She'll pay anything to "solve" a financial situation and that's great. I think she paid $75 a day extra for mother to be in a private room when she moved rehab places. Mother could never afford that, but my sis didn't bat an eye. Money DOES smooth a lot of things over.

My mother had Medicare and Medicaid and at one point, required a private room due to lack of compatible roommates (they were all much older than her and either wouldn't talk to her or were grouchy as heck and yelled at her). Medicaid paid the base room rate that they would pay for anyone, and I had to foot the bill for the rest. With no help from family members, it left me paying over $450 a month on my own for her private room. About a month before she died, they finally got a compatible roommate and I had her moved to a shared room. The sad fact of the matter is, if you're in a nursing home, someone else has to die before you can get into a room with someone who may be more compatible as a roommate. That was the case here - the 2nd roommate passed away and Mom was moved into the room in her place.

Definitely look into this before making the leap to a private room. See if there are compatible roommates available.