If Medicaid is denied what should I do?

Asked by

How does one afford a nursing home? Nobody can take care of grandma forever.

Answers 1 to 10 of 33
If Medicaid is denied, it's usually because assets were gifted away. So those people who got the house, car, savings, have to pay it back. They either take out a loan or start paying the monthly fee to the nursing home. And yes, they do get to take care of grandma forever, until it is paid back in full.
Well I meant the family cant take care of her forever and both of our credit scores are shot. We cant even qualify for checking accounts let alone loans. Im joint on my husbands account and my grandma has one from years ago with barely any money in it. I tried to set up a savings account but couldn't. Im not getting a loan anyway even if i DID qualify for one.
Has Medicaid been denied or are you worried it might be? If it has been denied the decision letter should explain why and the appeal process. If you're just worrying in advance there's little you can do right now. Why are you concerned she might not qualify?
I am just worried. I'm worried that if she cannot qualify then there would be no way to afford any type of assisted living or nursing home care.
OMG, the federal government is not telling you to get a loan, they are just saying the money was not spent on her care, therefore they will not pay. As far as the law goes, that is the end of it. Medicaid laws say if you gave it away, you are no longer eligible for help.
Oh you were saying that the retirement home takes out a loan. I misread that
"And yes, they do get to take care of grandma forever, until it is paid back in full"

Wrong. If push comes to shove, abandon grandma to the state. There isn't a single state that can force you to be someone's caretaker if you don't want to be. If you call 911 and have them pick her up and absolutely refuse to go and get her, the state WILL place her in a facility. It sounds worse than it is. Nobody is going to deny you visitation. You can visit as often as you like. Who pays? The state. They won't have a choice if she's 'abandoned'.
OMG, no the retirement home does not take out a loan, they sue the people who got her money. In Pennsylvania, a NH sued the children and the judge ordered one son to pay $93,000 to the NH because "he had the means". Abandoning relatives after you got the cash will have consequences. Too many relatives are being dumped on the state.
Yeah, well, as far as I'm concerned the states should take care of the people who paid them countless thousands in TAXES all their lives. They need to take some of those damn taxes and take care of them. The way I see it, too many elderly are being dumped on RELATIVES. The consequences to my family for abandoning my mom to the state? None.
OMG - you need to have hard details to see if mom or gran will qualify for Medicaid. Right now it seems you are all worry about "what-if's", try to move past that to get to the documents together to see if she will qualify for Medicaid in your state. The NH will give you a list of what they need to see in order to have her enter their facility as "Medicaid Pending".

You have to get all these documents together in order for the Medicaid caseworker to evaluate their financial status to qualify for Medicaid. The NH reviews it too - as they need to look at it to see if they think there will be a problem for "Medicaid Pending" (not all facility do Medicaid Pending even if they take Medicaid so you need to make sure the ones you look at do).

Also although the whole financial $$ issues are what most fixate on, mom / gran will also have to medically qualify for Medicaid for NH. She will need to show the need for "skilled nursing services". So think if she is at that point. Just because they are old or have dementia, those in & of themselves are not enough for NH placement. They need to require "skilled nursing services" for Medicaid. So speak with their current MD to see if they will do a letter on this - this can often be an unexpected issue for those who are in their home and move to a NH. Most NH admissions come from a hospital discharge (the usual story is that they had a fall, were hospitalized for 3 or more days and now are discharged to a NH for "rehab" and all these costs are MediCARE paid), so for those there is a fat medical file to justify the need for skilled nursing. When they are @ home, that tends not to exist so you may find you have to take a few months to create the file for this. My mom was in IL (private pay) and moved from IL to a NH (Medicaid pending). She totally bypassed the AL stage (private pay). It meant seeing her gerontologist who also was a medical director of a NH and doing visits every 4 to 6 weeks with testing done. The day she was a 10% weight loss and a bad H & H and a couple of other things, he wrote the order for skilled nursing care needed. So she had the fat medical file needed for Medicaid. Had I just moved her from IL to NH without all this, she would have been denied as it was not medically necessary.

So start gathering up & finding her documents to show she is impoverished at whatever level Medicaid requires in your state and speak with her doc. Good luck.

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support