Why can't Medicaid for Georgia just transfer the info they need so I can switch to Medicaid for Kentucky?


He came down from Ga. to live with me so I could take care of him. My question is he had Medicade in Ga. but they would not transfer it to KY. They said I had to reapply for it. Why can't they just transfer the info they need? I don't have his birth certificate and a few other things they need. I'm trying to get him with Hospice and nursing home. The Dr gave him 1 day to 6 months to live. Right now he is in skilled nursing for 20 days, so I have that long to try and get his Medicade approved for in Ky....Help!!!!

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing


cinnycq, the reason Medicaid from one State can't be transferred to another State is that each State runs their own Medicaid program... each have their own rules and regulations.  Thus, the taxpayers from the State of Georgia cannot pay for a patient who now lives in Kentucky.

I know, a lot of red tape and a hoops to jump through.  You'll get it done.
Helpful Answer (0)

Hospice SW or planner might be able to help you with the application. I can only agree it is a hassle! I had to go through ALL of my parent's old insurance policies to track down ones they thought might have face or cash value. You might be able to get a duplicate birth certificate from the county where he was born or some kind of print out at least. Is there anyone else who could go to Georgia and do a search for the important papers? When I had to do that, I found most everything, not real well organized but all in the room they used for an office. Sorry you are going through all this. But handling the paperwork, however stressful and aggravating, really is one gift we can give to our folks when they really can't handle it themselves.
Helpful Answer (3)

Why indeed can't Medicaid transfer to another state? Or at least the paperwork? Doesn't seem reasonable, but that is the way it is.

If you have a copy of the original Medicaid application you probably have the basis for most of the answers you need. You can get a duplicate birth certificate pretty quickly if you pay an express fee. I'm afraid you'll just have to rush your way through the application process.

Many nursing homes will take residents on a "Medicaid pending" basis. Since your father has already been on Medicaid this doesn't seem like much of a gamble for them. See if you can arrange something like that. You'll still have to complete the application, but it would buy you a little time.

Hospice is paid for by Medicare, so if you can get him in a nursing home, hospice care should not be difficult to arrange.

I'm so sorry that you have to go through the application process. Just grit your teeth and get through it!
Helpful Answer (3)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.