Spouse in nursing home on mass health with no assets, just $15, 000 life insurance. When will Medicaid fully cover nursing home?

Live in mass when is the only time medicade w fully cover nh expenses..rent apt and lease a car..he spemt his full retirement monies nothing in bnk just ss vhecks

23

Answers

1 2 3
Jimmy - Medicare does not pay long term care. or does Medicare have an Interest in your life insurance.

Medicaid does pay for LTC but you have to qualify both medically - you have to show the needed for skilled nursing care; & financially - be impoverished with 2k in assets & be under whatever your state has set as the limit for monthly income. Contact your state program to get details.

I have 10.000 straight life insurance when will medicare pay for long term care

Stefani- once he is on Meducaid his BcBS will probably suspend. So no longer will the $200 a month taken out for that happen. Medicaid is going to either be his primary or his secondary for all health insurance ( Medicaid will be the secondary to anything that Medicare pays). If you need to yourself stay on BCBS then you probably are going to let them know and you pay the premium for your solo coverage.

For Medicaid he has to do a coPay or his SOC (share of cost). If you as the "community spouse" need his income paid to you rather than going to the NH as his copay or SOC, either you have to apply for it other state calculates what the community spouse monthly figure is. each state has a baseline amount of what supposedly you need & can live on that the CRSA or MMNA is based on.

If its not enough for to cover your expenses you really have a limited choices:
- you get an elder law attorney to get it higher, if feasible
- you downsize & reduce all your expenses. If hubby's debt is out there, and you can't pay it, then you either declare bankruptcy or plan on ignoring it for next several years.
I'm sorry but it's really just hard hard limited options.

If you got all your hubby SS could you make ends meet?? Look hard at all this. If not, then you are just going to have to make hard choices as how to downsize.

Best thing to do is apply - they aren't going to be able to help if you don't ask, after all.

Well folks yes he is in a nh now after this last fall w lots of burns from cooking soup all over him...then the e.r. then the hospital now he's in nh in rockport..mass .they want 900$ a month..told our elder lawyer ..they did not take his bc/b.s. of 200 as month into consideration..I just gave nh 500$ so they wd not kick him out...we get ss total 2400$ month. 1180$ rent. 250 utilities. .car..bills ins total 600$

Please, please, get accurate information. I'm not clear if he already HAS Medicaid and they are paying, or whether you still have to do an application. If you refuse to apply for Medicaid then the nursing home will expect you to private pay which is above most people's income. And I think you are right about needing the nursing home. Medicaid will cover most of it. I'm not sure if it is possible they will cover all of it - I think under some circumsntances they might- but you need to find out. In Pgh PA there was a decent charity care option called Kane Care - at least some facilities were decent and they had wait lists that were not overwhelmingly long, but that was a few years ago. I hope there is a good way to make this work for you, it is a tough time, and solid information is not always easy to come by.

Stefani, let's say you get $1200 in SS and so does he, so it is $2400 a month. But your rent/food/utilities are $2000 a month. They will only take the remaining $400 to pay for his care. The spouse gets an "allowance" to cover their needs. They will not take your house, you get to stay there.

Because they go after your ss checks and thats sll I have to live on..I w not allow that I worked too hard for tha
t money..he belongs in nh for the three altz. Dementia and uncontrolled type two diabetes snd hepatitis c

Stef, why do you think Medicaid won't pay for nh care?

I have no assets I lease a car and rent an apt he spent his full retirement gambling..there is nothing in the bank..just our teo ss vhecks. My check pays the rent and his pays the utilities, food and health ins, renters ins, car ins..phys bills for him and me..we have no cd's, propertu or any assets..just a life ins policy for his burial..I don't have any burial plans..he now has mass health Medicaid and has been transferred from the E.R. to a nursing home because of burns. For another fall while he was cooking boiling soup..now I want him to stay in there because he has altzheimers..dementia and uncontrolled diabetes because he cannot remember when or correct doseage..so he always ends up in the e.r. for all his falls. This one was the worst..why can't Medicaid pay for him to stay in there?

1 2 3