Medicaid offers an exemption for a child that lives in the parent's home for at least 2 years and provides the care that kept the parent from going into a facility. The exemption allows for the child to take over the home or keep it and not have it taken by Medicaid. Well I know I qualify after taking care of my parents for well over 2 years in their home. My question and problem is that my sister also lives in the home. And basically comes and goes as she pleases and does nothing for my parents, and most recently my mom after dad's passing. Is she entitled to her share of the house still if we are able to save it? Can I go after the house on my own being as I am the "caregiver"?? I dont know what to do.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
I’m confused, your parents its just dad deceased but mom living & still at home? Or did she finally move to a NH. I’m thinking she wanted them in a facility but they & you wanted to stay home & you do/did the caregiving along with paid caregivers. 

When you posted before they were at home but then dad died post hospitalization, right? So only dad in a facility on LTC NH Medicaid or were they community based in home care or at PACE type of Medicaid program and then dad had NH Medicaid? 

For dad, what does his will(s) state as to heirs? Was probate opened for him with assets produced by the death transferred as per terms of the will? Or hasn’t been dealt with?

During the past years (5?) that you did caregiving did you have another job? I scan read your old posts but I’m not clear on that....
Same ? for Sissy?
Who has been paying the costs on the home in your parents name?

Based on older posts, like 5 months back, your parents were going to get with to an elder law atty to redo paperwork & legal. You had found one.What happened with that? 

Caregiver exemption, like Estate Recovery, has a lot of qualifiers, the answers to the above will make it easier for folks to have suggestions.
Helpful Answer (3)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.

Ask a Question

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter