My mom had Medicaid and it was cancelled by them. Can they do that and why? - AgingCare.com

My mom had Medicaid and it was cancelled by them. Can they do that and why?

I was told by medicaid that when you get approve for it that it will never be cancelled. Now they sent me a letter said that my mom medicaid has been cancelled I have no idea why.

4

Answers

What does the letter say the reason is?

None of that happened. She only have one pension from her deceased husband. Not much

Probably the most common reason is failure to fill out the annual renewal application. If that is the case, it is a matter of re-applying.

There will be something in the letter telling you how to access someone to find out, and how to file a claim saying you disagree with the conclusion. It's oblique language but it is in there. Read the letter again, now that you are over the shock, and find that language, and do what it says.
Sometimes they discover that people have assets that weren't disclosed, or weren't listed appropriately, or that came post-acceptance. Did something like that happen?

• MFP through Medicaid is a special program that helps seniors avoid being institutionalized. The grant money has allowed states to set up an infrastructure to determine which nursing home patients are most likely to benefit from a move from an institutional setting.
  • Applying for Medicaid for an aging parent can be tricky. One caregiver describes his personal experience navigating the system.