The bank just found out the exes mom is on Medicaid. They are sending out an evaluator tomorrow (there is a mortgage and loc on the property). What is the difference between an appraisal and evaluation? Also, why would the bank suddenly do this if payments are up to date?

Take a breath. You have come so far and separated so well. Let The State figure it out. You documented everything. The investigators can do the job they should have been doing. Take care of you.

Guest, since you understand my train of thought. They made my ex and I pay "rent" for the barn on same property but different address for storing equiment since he was self employed. So, i 1099, misc rental income, every year and transmitted a 1096 by certified mail and have the green signature receipt still. Honestly, at the point I did this, I was in pure protection mode and was trying to get her kicked off Medicaid while expenses were low. Waiver knew about the income and didnt report it to DHS....it wasnt really income and told his parents they were on SS so they didnt need to file taxes and they didnt. So I feel they all should go down. I have hard copies of any accounting work and an audit trail in both quickbooks and dynamics.

You wait for a subpoena. You provided evidence. The state chose not to act. You have evidence of non-involvement for years. I would report any documents that may have been signed with your name as forgery. You might drop a dime to the IRS if money was not properly paid on taxes...but you have a lawyer and you can file suit against the state if they attempt to compel you. But I would get far away from your ex, he sounds like he is every bit as bad just weak. I wish I had been wrong, but my hubs family full of skimmers and grifters too. Busy not taking care of things free they can pay for...

Lol Barb. That is my problem...they are con artists and the state is just as bad. I reported them yet that is not online but the fact is if you google my name a fake police report on me is out there because of the family and state. Where do i draw the line and what do I do? This is alot of pent up rage.

Tacy; GRIFTERS!!!!!!!!!!

Stay strong Tacy!!

So, today was my day from hell. I went to work at 3 am and was going to leave by 10:30 after a meeting. I tripped, fell and some metal piece of an e-cigarette went through my hand and I spent a couple hours at the clinic getting my hand wrapped up a a tetnus shot so needless to say, I am not in the greatest of moods.

I get home and there is a business card on my door from MDHHS special investigator. At this point, I am furious and call the person. After a couple hours of phone tag, we speak. He started asking about the roof, finances and potential fraud. I completely lost it, I told him all of it had been reported dates, times oh and in Michigan it is legal to record phone conversations so those too...and they failed to act.  They didnt listen, they allowed police to harass me, physical violence and verbal abuse by family and agencies and legal fees....so why does he think I want to cooperate when they did it to themselves (family and state). Btw, big brotherand DG signed money for an easement after my involvement. I am meeting with him tomorrow with lawyer who has additional documentation. I have been shaking with rage most of the afternoon. So Guest, your right, they thought they had a fall guy.

I think Medicaid is wondering if the life insurance policy actually bought a roof and is concerned that any settlement for easement, etc. would quickly go *poof*. Good job defending yourself Tacy. I have a feeling that DG and her flying monkeys are trying to find a fall guy for malfeasance....

Glad, this might be the answer to Joann's question about compensation. Perhaps it's made when the pipeline is planned. I've never been involved in that phase, so I was unaware of any compensation. Even if I had been, through work, typically those costs were handled by the developer and the law firms I worked for wouldn't have been involved with the utilities unless we were handing the construction draws, which we were in some cases, but it's been so long ago I don't recall any payments being made to property owners.

Interesting.

We have a liquid gas pipeline coming through. Each property owner is being compensated, per foot, for an easement. I have seen several since I have been here.

I'm wondering if Medicaid is concerned about the value of the house as an asset for repayment. Superfund sites typically lose a lot in value after designated as such, and a resell market for them dwindles.

He is self employed construction. He turned down alot of work because of her care and cant work right now because of his health.

Sad. Does ex-BF have a job?

Barb, I think it actually does. I got a call a little after 4 from a Medicaid investigator about her finances. My response was I have not done finances since April 2016. I was asked if I could prove it and I said I have spreadsheets from 2012 to when I stopped. I took a screenshot of the last time I accessed the spreadsheet and sent her both items. The state finally found out about the money she received from his dad's life insurance policy which her and big brother said put a roof on the house and submitted fake receipts for. All I really know at this point is of course his brother had told investigator I was in charge of finances but the money was received a year after I stopped doing them. The investigator did not give details just asked questions and honestly, it felt good being able to finally tell the truth with someone listening. As for the bank valuation, I dont know how that fits in.

So, Tacy, does this have ANYTHING to do with Medicaid?

Does BF's mom understand what's going on?

It occurs to me that this might be an opportunity (for BF NOT for you) to have an evaluation of her cognitive skills.

There is city water which townships buy but most people west of the river have well water. My garden was completely raised off the ground, pea stone was used for drainage and soil was bought at the store. It was was a pretty expensive project for stress relief. I used to go to the grocery store about 3 or 4 times a week to refill water for drinking and daily in the summer to water plants.

Tacy, thanks for the update. This is really unsettling. I assume gardening for your ex's mother isn't in the picture, but what about water? Are they on wells in that area?

I found out that yes there is a superfund which which requires Dow to clean up the floodplain in 5 stages with the EPA oversight. They had offered property owners $10k base pmt plus $1k per acre as a conservation easement which the propery owners would not be allowed to develop land, raise livestock or crops and would allow Dow to own all samples taken from the properties and they would be reponsible for making up any differences between fmv and the decreased value of contaminated land.

JoAnn, interesting question. I honestly don't know, as I've never had any specific experience with that kind of situation.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was specific compensation for something like access over an existing easement, or ingress/egress, in commercial situations. I.e., someone develops an industrial complex and allows an adjoining complex access, either for parking or for ingress/egress.

There is something remotely akin to financial consideration in the blanket documents called REAs (Reciprocal Easement Agreements), also know by similar titles such as Reciprocating Operating and Easement Agreements. These were commonly executed for regional shopping centesr, smaller major store centers, strip malls, etc.

REAs created easements of ingress and egress, for the centers, and extended to all owners or tenants operating in the centers, as well as to their customers. The tenants paid a defined percentage (based on square footage and sales, if I remember correctly) to the landlord or shopping center owner. That included access for their customers to parking spaces, etc.

So, in a sense, the tenants and owners of buildings in large centers did pay a percentage for access for their customers.

As to residential payments, I don't recall ever seeing any easement that required payment from a homeowner. But my experience in commercial real estate was more than in residential.

Could you elaborate - I'm curious now. What kinds of situations are you aware of that required a payout? I'd like to do some research and follow through on this issue.

And thanks for posing a really interesting and appropriate question!

Garden artist, but with some easements isn't there a money pay out?

If eminent domain was in process, notice should have been served that the property would be taken for that purpose. I don't recall the specific notice form, but if memory serves me right, it would be recorded, just as a deed would be. So there should be documentation in the local county register or recorder of deeds department.

I don't recall what levels of government may have eminent domain authority, so if an energy provider is involved, and doesn't have that direct authority, it would have to work with a local governmental agency to carry out an eminent domain project. Municipality, city, township, etc. public hearings should have discussions on this that would be reflected in the meeting minutes.

A price is typically "negotiated" with the owner, so that may be why a bank is involved as it would want to protect its secured interest. If just a homeowner were involved, it's not unusual for the acquisition price to be lowballed, and the homeowner does not get the best offer.

Eminent domain has to follow specific procedures and process, and the property has to be adjudicated for seizure by the entity doing so. If it's a local entity, the public hearing/council meetings or something similar would have reflected that an eminent domain project was approved.

Vacation of the premises will be mandatory, IF the entire property is being acquired. So whoever lives there needs to be immediately planning to find another home, assuming that the property is going to be taken.

If property is just taken for something like a road widening, or an access easement for public use, vacation of the premises might not necessarily be required.

Tacy, it could also be that there's a project underway that might only take part of the property, i.e., a road widening, o boulevarding, or something similar. That might explain the clearing of the wooded areas. I'm not sure what the orange poles would be for.

When I first worked on commercial real estate transactions, there was no cable tv, but by the time I left the work force, cable easements were becoming standard. Given the advancement of cable tv, wi-fi, and cell phone usage, there probably are a lot of new easements recorded routinely. A cell phone tower might be another possibility for the activity in that area.

I'd like to read a contemporary title commitment in a developed area just to see what new changes there are.

If it is an energy infrastructure project, and doesn't require eminent domain, there would have been easements granted for use over the property. These would be reflected in title work.

Typically easements are considered beneficial encumbrances, i.e., they benefit the property and generally run with the title (i.e., they're permanent and don't change when ownership does).

I recall working on a few easement issues years ago when the law firm's client needed access easements for projects. They were negotiated with the owner, an easement was drafted and after negotiation was recorded with the local register of deeds.

Perhaps the would be easement holder negotiated directly with the bank because of its secured interest. And it would be easier than negotiating with a property owner, who typically wouldn't be experienced in easement negotiations.

Tacy, my best friend has family in Michigan near Detroit. If there is a cleanup/superfund/other eminent domain buyout, the bank is trying to get maximum value for the buyout to pay off the mortgage and LOC. DG receiving home services? Your EX living with DG, other family too maybe? The freakout is that Medicaid will be lost for at home if eminent domain is going on and DG will need to be moved to SNF, NH or other family home (snicker) as well as any profit over the mortgage etc going straight to her spend down to get back on Medicaid.... Good for you saying no! And if your mom has become enmeshed? Then mom can go clean it up. If hope is good, let them hope you'll change your mind:) But you won't. My IL's are still convinced that at some point I will become involved in their dysfunctional lives daily. Nope.

Uncrossing my eyes.

I think I've understood about one word in five so far.

Tacy? To the tune of "Marie's Wedding", now:

Skip we gaily, on we go,
Heel for heel and toe for toe,
Arm in arm and row on row
It's got nothing to do with Taaa-cyyyy

Let's keep it that way, eh.

I wonder if there is environmental cleanup going on and possible funding in place to buy her out. Maybe even FEMA funding to buyout homes in the floodplain. Where is this?

Google home evaluation and fema floodplain buyout

That sounds like a good educated guess, Tacy.

BF needs some cognitive therapy to learn how to detach, and not listen to his mom's lies/confabulations/delusions/fantasies.

He heard it from his Mom it was over Medicaid but had a voice mail from the bank that just said they were going there today. I took the back way into work today and drove by. It looks like they are doing some type of cleanup, energy infrastucture upgrade. The wooded areas on the strip of road are leveled and there are big piles of wood chips. There are big orange Lshaped poles that go from the river, across the road as far as I could see. The one house down the roads barn was leveled and a pole there. I am thinking it may be an eminent domsin issue.

Tacy, did the bank tell boyfriend that this had to do with Medicaid? Or is his mom selling house?

I googled Bank home evaluation and discovered that a home evaluation is an appraisal and inspection rolled into one (at least according to the site I found) and is used in setting a price for sale and for getting "comps" for the sale of other homes in the area.

So, I'm wondering if BF heard directly from the bank "we're coming out to evaluate your mother's home because it's gotten back to us that she's on Medicaid" or if (and this seems FAR more likely to me) that Grifter mom has some new scheme up her sleeve to make money and leave BF high and dry and homeless.  Like selling the house.

Or if it's something altogether different; his mom called him to reel him in with some BS that she's made up.

Joann, there is a mortgage through one bank and a LOC through another. She is not in a nursing home but receives Medicaid for home based services. Not one of the entities will be able to recoup what they are owed due to the fact the property is located within the flood plain and the land is contaminated from petro chemical and auto companies dumping for so many years in the river. In order to sell the property a phase 1 environmental which costs about 10K would need to be done, then a phase 2 and those cost about 25k plus clean up. I didnt grow up in the area and I do not eat game but when the DEQ made one company test the property and do blood samples, I have elevated dioxin levels from having a plant based diet grown on the property and the company has tested my blood for the last 8 years. No one will recoup anything.

Is exes Mom in a NH or on Medicaid for insurance and home care?

I would think the mortgage company is covering their tails. There's an equity loan out there, correct? They probably want to make sure the house is being kept up so they will get the money back they loaned out.

The truth is my degree is in accounting. I dont have a CPA, do not like dealing with the IRS and taxes bore me to death. I do have a CMA, I am really good with strategy and cash flow...i look at numbers and can project a year out in my head. I spent months fixing tax problems and fixing their stupidity and I dont have the energy or patience to do it again.