I am planning to move and I am thinking of renting. We are 69. I am the community spouse and my husband had a bad stroke 10 years ago. I am now paying for home healthcare for him. I want to keep him at home. But right now his care costs me a little over $2000 per month. Thanks, christine

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
CT - so the 2K each month for in home care, you are paying for this from your & hubs savings & income? If so, how long can this amount continue to be paid without seriously affecting your long term financial stability? 69 is still on the youngish side. You could be looking at another 20/25 years and financially that is a really long time as your income producing years from a traditional job are past.

Are you thinking that maybe if he applies for medicaid, that it will enable you to save 2K each month?

I'm confused so are you renting your current home OR are you thinking of selling the home to come up with $ (& perhaps get out from a mortgage) to continue private pay and rent a new place.

CS situations can just be so complex. It's probably very overwhelming for you.
So what are you thinking would be the best situation? and would this work for a year or two or three for what hubs care needs are realistically?
Helpful Answer (0)

Actually, the house is an exempt asset for the lifetime of Medicaid recipient. When the person dies, a lien is filed on the house for the cost of care paid by Medicaid that must either be paid when selling the property to get a "clear title" or you get an exemption for caregiving under state rules. You renting will have no affect on the house as an exempt asset - you don't get to exclude something else. Consult an attorney - if you are planning to sell the house now, before his death with you being the CS, make sure you don't cause any Medicaid issues with the proceeds from the sale of the house in both your names. A sudden cash infusion from house sale will NOT be exempt asset and triggers review.
Helpful Answer (2)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter