MCI or dementia?

Rang mums doc today as I still havnt heard back from Geriatrician re brain scan? He said she may have mild cognitive impairment? I am not convinced but he hasnt had any tests back yet?

Can someone explain this to me and what it means? I have read that MCI can lead to dementia OR can be cured if diagnosed in time?

Am very confused as i think its more early dementia she may have had MCI a few years ago but from being on this forum and others she is showing more signs of dementia than mild confusion.

Can anyone help? thanks

19

Answers

I can relate too. I got Mom a geriatrician as no one would take me seriously as to her mental state. When she came out of rehab and had visiting nurses, I told them about her behavior and wanted her tested but kept being told t give her time to adjust to moving back in with me and my husband but I knew it was more. Her behavior scared me. She was seeing people in her room, hearing her two sons arguing in the hallway, (one died 24 years ago and the other one was on the west coast!), could not remember how to use the toilet or her walker etc. I found out after blood work and urine test the rehab was giving her too high a dose of thyroid meds( which I called them on!) and she had a UTI. Two weeks later she is doing better and not talking crazy(much). We get her re tested in October so we'll see how she does on the psych evaluation this time as she failed quite badly on the last one. Keep calling the doctor and if the family doesn't listen, tell them to butt out. You're doing your best so feel good about it and share share share on here. We listen!

Kazzaa dear, I am sorry you have to go through some difficult times. I understand your concern about leaving your mom alone at home. You might want to discuss some alternatives with her physician. Perhaps someone else can watch her when you're not around.

She's leaving TV on full blast - I don't know what you can do about it. My late father didn't want to wear his hearing aids saying he didn't need them, but he lived alone in his apartment, and apparently his neighbors didn't complain.

I think you might want to look into having an outside help. Or placing your mom in a facility that you can still visit every day and stay there with her as long as you want to.

However not wearing dentures and hearing aids is her choice. I understand where you're coming from, but I think that you don't have too many options here. I'm just saying.

yeh youre right spoony?? ill just let her be and when the smoke alarm goes off when im not here and she sets the house on fire let her be or when a prowler knocks on the door when shes here alone and nobody annswers the door and he thinks great noone home let her be? sorry but i am living with my mum and apart from trying to eat a steak with no teeth UGH i dont have to listen to the tv full blast and destroying my hearing. great you live alone and do as you please thats fine when its not stressing anyone else out?

Kazzaaa dear, you're saying your mom sometimes doesn't wear her dentures or a hearing aid; well the thing is, sometimes she doesn't feel like wearing them. It's just her lifestyle.

I sometimes don't wear my dentures because I don't feel like it, but then again, I live alone and do as I please. Both my daughters live miles away, so I'm enjoying my freedom (I'm in my 60's). The way I understand it, your mom does things her own way - let her be. JMO

By the way, I could be wrong, but I think MCI - mild cognitive impairment - is just a made-up diagnosis for people who are doing worse mentally, but are not bad enough yet to qualify for the dementia diagnosis. It's not a disease as much as it is a description of a person's symptoms. So some people will progress to dementia, some people will get worse, but very slowly, and some people will go on pretty much the same for years.

Please correct me, those of you who know more.

Thanks guys such a relief to know im not going crazy she is always on her best behaviour when other people are around! My sister and aunt were here and have now gone back. She was upbeat shuffling around cleaning?? cooking bread??? now shes back on the couch smelly in pjs and glued to tv?? go figure.x

You say her memory is sharp. She is smart and clever, but if she is setting the cooker on fire, it's because her short term memory is NOT sharp. She doesn't remember that she started cooking something. Repeating the same thing over and over is IMO the classic symptom of dementia, because she FORGOT that she already said it.

I really feel for you.

My husband can tell you all about military tactics in WWII, or what the address was of every house he ever lived in, but he can't remember that he has a shopping list in his pocket, and he can't figure out that he should look in his pocket to see if there's a list there. He's a mixture of smart and dumb, which is typical.

Oh that little smirk is her blocking out what she doesn't want to hear. I guarantee she will deny he said that and tell everyone she is fine. That's the devious four-year old inside coming out.

Thanks and you are so right my mum calculates dates like the last time he asked what date it was she counted back as my sisters bday had just passed a few days before! When she came out she was chuffed that AGAIN ive gotten away with it have to say it broke my heart even when the geriatrician said "i think you are showing signs of MCI" she didnt even register and just smiled at him? I just cannot imagine what her little world must be like I try and imagine how would I feel if someone told me I was losing my mind? My friends mum when she was told she had als laughed and told her family that it was aload of rubbish was in complete denial then never mentioned it again. Its just so sad when you get angry with them then when ive clamed down I cry for her and feel so sorry for her she didnt deserve this shes been ill all her life why her? then you pull yourself together and get on with it. I know its dementia but i will get a blow when its confirmed then we can start to grieve.

Kazaa, get videotape or at least still photos. "Show-timers" is a well known phenomenon. For short periods of time when they know its critical, people can overcompensate. Orientation and short term memory are less affected than judgement at first in non-alzheimer's (e.g. vascular) dementia, and my mom, (while total care except for feeding herself and a little oral-facial hygiene due to inability to initiate or sequence plus physical disability, unable to reason or empathize at all, and unable to judge that something bizarre was just a dream or a hallucination versus reality) would make sure to take a look at the daily calendar and memorize the date before any doctor visit.

I am really, really glad you got a geriatrician on board.