Has anyone on here managed their parents Aide & Attendance Benefits from the VA?

f so, is it complicated?

34

Answers

1 2 3 4
what's a name: I had a similar experience with VA rep in Louisiana. This is why I finally searched out a reputable service to help me file A & Attendance. Dad paid them but it worked out and he was awarded 3 months after claim submission Good luck

Got a call from the VA fella processing Mom's claim last week. Ours are normally handled in Philadelphia, but a lot were sent to Wisconsin to help take up the slack. He said he had everything we needed, but we got a letter today asking for just a bit more info (more like an opportunity to supplement in case we forgot anything. I guess the heat is on to get them pushed through quickly since all the recent flak. We sent letter of intent in March, and submitted all the docs mid May. I'm hopeful that we'll get a decision soon!

May 7th turned my father's application in for Pension/Aid and Attendance. Sent in as a FDC (Fully Developed Claim). He has been awarded and first check has been already deposited. Has only taken two months. He is a Korean Veteran,82 years old with COPD.

Unfortunatly I have contacted the local VA person here and he hasn't answered my emails or returned my calls. I was told he wasn't very helpful with much. When I contact the VA in other ways they just always refer me back to this same person. :(

We have a Department of Veterans Affairs at our county courthouse...they also indicated there are other local volunteer groups who could help with the paperwork. I would call my county courthouse for starters and just ask them who there might assist you or answer some questions regarding the VA Aid and Attendance benefit. if all else fails, if you can't find someone you could call THE Dept of Veterans Affairs and ask them for a local contact...I was told the local VFW groups were very helpful....American Legion, etc....if you call one and they have not heard of the benefit, that should be a good indicator they would not be the one to use to help you....pm me as to where you are located if you wish and I will see who I can find...

hope22, you said you contacted your 'local office'. Who was that? That's my whole problem, I can't find anyone around here that can answer my questions.

After I answered this question I became concerned I was doing something wrong and so I called my local office with whom I have been dealing since finally finding someone who knows what they are talking about...I probably need to say my comments are based on my particular situation..More specifically, I am Mama's 24/7 caregiver. I had to leave my job and lose all my benefits to care for her. Therefore, I could count myself as her caregiver and in applying for the benefit could allow up to the going rate in our area ...here it is $10.00 / hour. I figured mine based on a 40 hours week, even though I am here 24/7. But doing that, literally eats up Mama's monthly income, there in effect ALL the money we get from the VA goes towards caregiver expenses, and that is why I can use it to do things like buy groceries...pay utilities. Hopefully that makes sense...I think they more I post the more confusing I am sounding...hopefully that clarifies what I said...

The way it was explained to me was that the medical expenses and such are used to determine the eligibility and the amount you will receive, but the money you receive is to be used for the care of the loved one...this would include grocery and living expenses, but you must be able to account for it..ie to show that it is being used for the care and comfort of the veteran or surviving spouse.

When I filled out the forms, and when the VA rep came to our home, she confirmed the medical, insurance, etc. and also asked about groceries, gas, etc. She told me I had to be able to show that the money was being used for the care of my parent. It is my understanding that you can use the money to care for your loved one in whatever their needs are....my Mama is on a total liquid nutrition diet so that is included.

whatsaname,on the VA Aid & Attendance application you specify what the money is for and can only use the funding for that purpose. And you do an annual report certifying that is what you used it for.

1 2 3 4