Mammogram at 96. Is it necessary?

Once again my Mom asked me to take her to her annual mammogram. Because Mom is frail and unsteady on her feet, it takes two technicians to do the mammogram. And as us woman know, it's not easy to be contorted into that highly uncomfortable and sometimes painful position, imagine doing that after you are 90 years old.

I know there are pros and cons, and articles saying it is ok to have such a test when 90+ and other articles saying it is unnecessary. My mother's gyn says it's unnecessary but apparently my mother insists.

16

Answers

We stopped mammograms two years ago on doctor's recommendation. Mom's dementia is becoming quite advanced and at this point, surgery would not be an option as the anesthesia could very likely destroy the ability to do anything for herself. If you are not going to do the treatment, save yourself the anxiety of doing the test. Great idea to get some space age looking thing and wave it over her! LOL!!!

Can you explain to her that at her age a blood test is about as effective as a mammogram? (somewhat true) If it were my parent or myself, I would not undergo treatment if cancer were found at age 96.

My original post was over a year ago, and here I am once again taking Mom to her GYN for her annual appointment. In the past year I have been rethinking about the mammogram as apparently it is Mom's peace of mind.... her sister had died decades ago from breast cancer so my Mom is probably scared she might be next, even though her other sisters never had breast cancer.

Maybe I can get her GYN to tell her at her age every two years is now recommended :)

Boy, if my doctor told me no more mammograms, I would be doing cartwheels in the street !!

You could tell your mom they now have a do it at home kit, find some toy gadget that looks something from star trek, wave it over the girls and "send the data in" for evaluation. Wouldn't that be nice???? That's what they will invent for men if there ever comes a need for that sort of thing....

If Mom can't tolerate the test without aid she certainly would not tolerate treatment. Agree with Pam. Got bullied into a couple recently then told I was "percieving" the problem and I am not close to 96.

The NBC 2015 news report on mammograms was very interesting and your posts were helpful.

freqflyer, this reminds me to add an advanced directive saying "and NO more $$$$$ tests, including Slam-O-Grams, or shoving tubes into ANY porthole.

No. There are better tests. Unfortunately our doctors recommend every test that insurance will pay for.

If you google "mammogram news 2015," a link to the NBC News report and video comes up. I thought this was very interesting.

A question would be if someone is very old, what would they do if they did see something? A high percentage of suspicious spots on a mammogram turn out to be benign when a biopsy is performed. And even if it was cancer, what would be done? Maybe a lumpectomy would be tolerable, but a mastectomy or chemotherapy would be too hard on someone when they are frail.

That is a major consideration -- how frail is the person? If they are too frail to undergo cancer treatment, then a mammogram is not useful. There was a recent study on mammograms that they reported on the news last night. I didn't see the original study, so really can't comment, but the report made me wonder if they were being overused in many cases.