Has anyone experienced a loved one's room sharing space with a dying resident?

Mom is in a private pay shared room at a memory care facility (not a snf), and her roommate who is bedridden is now on hospice and oxygen - it appears she doesn't have much time left but I'm concerned about what effect her passing will have on my mom who is 93 and really doesn't grasp that she's in a facility and has a roommate I have private caregivers overnight and 4 hours a day with mom - the facility asked me to sign a waiver when they put her roomie on hospice last weekend but they didn't answer my questions and I gave not signed yet - I have not seen anyone visit her - has anyone experienced a loved room sharing space with a dying resident? This is not a nursing facility

19

Answers

Same time next year, MsMadge.
How are things today?

Was a visitor in an acute care hospital. You shoulda seen the slow response to "code stroke", this was killing me to watch...then, a nurse arriving as the patient was being transferred, actually said: "Is that the stroke?"
No, no, no! Not even, is that the stroke patient? (just as bad), OR "Is that the patient with a stroke?"

Nurses are trained NOT to speak of patients as their illness, i.e., "the stroke".

No excuses techs and nurses-no excuses!

Hi Send
Yes crazy So Cal weather - 74 one day and 94 the next

The a/c still isn't fixed and it's been a weird week with the dining room closed for the faux wood installation - I understand they're having a staff appreciate party on this Saturday - wonder who will be taking care of the residents ??

Luckily I had some nystatin powder and that seems to be clearing up her rash - she's not scratching as much 😀

Checking back Ms. Madge,
Any improvement with the rash? The heat looks like it's going to amp up, and you said there was rain in the past few days. I didn't get any, but heard there were spots of rain.
It bothers me that this rash happened when the equipment for the roomate caused the room to be sweltering. Unconscionable.

Thank you everyone for sharing

Much to my surprise mom is noticing the empty bed and asked me tonight where her roommate was although I couldn't quite tell if she was upset or just observant so I just said she'll be back - now my thoughts are worrying about who the next roomie will be -

It was a bit annoying that last night I had to carry some of the equipment down the hall to the nurses station as I didn't want mom falling on any if it or picking up mouth swabs out of a water of glass etc I also had to ask them to remove the dirty linens

I have some leftover medicated powder so if mom's rash doesn't start to get better in a couple of days I guess we'll be going to her dermatologist
I will raise the a/c issue again tomorrow - this is a brand new building and the cheap unit hasn't work right since mom moved in
During the summer months they had to bring portable units in for some rooms

Ohhh Madge.....such a very sorry story all around: your poor Mom, Mom's poor roommate, you, your friend.....

Hopefully, your Mom was "oblivious" to what occurred and not affected....BUT, the poor roommate.....no visitors.....all alone.....at least it sounds relatively quick BUT no excuse to the facility re: the very final honor of privacy in your last moments.....

Agreed re: Seeking out Ombudsman or other on this situation as well as heating/cooling problems.....are you kidding me??!!....And you are private pay?....

God knows your plate is full.....and you spend so much time w/your Mom while still juggling work responsibilities.....

Heart out to you, dear....

Ms. Madge,
Sorry your Mom's roomie has passed.

There are some serious infractions still to be dealt with.
NO A/C can make someone ill in this So. Calif. heat-the weather keeps changing, so ask to have her transferred to another room. Enlist the help of her doctors, and try to get a dermatologist to visit.
Tell them you have a friend coming to that party who has a lot to say about their treatment of residents there.
I agree with other posters about contacting the Ombudsman/Patient's rights advocate.
If you were just renting an apartment with A/C, how many days would you tolerate it being broken?
Tell your friend, I love that she was there during this difficult time for your Mom.
Just timely, just in time. But also very sad.

This question/thread you posted is going to help a lot of people in similar circumstances. How best can we help you? Do you need help speaking up to the admin of memory care?
Maybe you want to write a letter?

I felt sorry for my Mom's roommate when my Mom was on Hospice care at long-term-care as the roommate had to hear and/or witness what was going on during the final two weeks, and then the day my Mom had passed in the wee hours of the morning [I was with my Mom when this happened]. Hopefully the roommate was back to sleep when the funeral home came.

Even though my Mom couldn't communicate with her roommate due to her own deafness and very poor eyesight at 98. The roommate, who was bedridden yet was a much younger woman, keep an eye out for my Mom, and would notify the nurse any time my Mom fell out of bed, etc. [my Mom was in last stage of dementia that she didn't know she could no longer walk much less stand].

I think there are so many different facilities, some with all private rooms, some with all shared rooms, and some inbetween, depending on the cost. My Mom could have had a private room at a slightly higher cost. Mom never wanted to be in a room all by herself. She felt more secure knowing someone was there, even though she didn't really know who it was.

My friend is having lunch with mom and took her to her room to tinkle and nap - roomie just passed away
God rest her soul

MsMadge - over the summer my moms place did a complete kitchen overhaul- which would benefit the residents. But during the construction all the meals were brought in and the residents ate off paper plates and used plastic utensils. Can you imagine? Old, shaking, arthritic hands trying to cut, pierce and scoop with plastic knives and forks? My mom was barely eating at that point - but seriously?