Does your loved one with dementia moan? - AgingCare.com

Does your loved one with dementia moan?

My mom is 96 and started to moan after a viral flu like illness last June. It is the one thing that kinda drives me crazy. It is worse sometimes and barely there other times. But it is there pretty much 24/7. When its bad she even moans while eating very loudly. Just was curious if its a "normal" thing.

17

Answers

Do the changing Seasons make a difference to the moaning as I wonder if sunlight makes a difference?

my mom has dementia and severe arthritis. Wasn't sure if she is moaning because of the pain but now I think she is just doing it all the time. Sometimes she is singing then continues moaning until she falls asleep. Sleeping is a struggle and now eating is becoming that way. She goes to adult day care and by the time friday comes she is so exhausted hopefully she will catch up on some sleep this weekend its going to be snowing all weekend anyway no where to go.

bettymaxwell194 your mom sounds just like my mom. Her saying is "there there there" And she moans too through meals. I hate it. Especially when we have company because I warn them about it and they still will stare and I know they are bothered. And I feel for her because as with your mom she doesn't realize she is doing it. Also like you, I really miss the mom I used to have....I sometimes sit and watch her and feel such a ache in my heart for my mom that was my best friend. I miss my talks with her most.

My mom is 89 and in an assisted living and has moderate dementia that has progressed over the year to making sounds like "ugh" or "ahh" and often saids "oh boy". I have asked her if she is in pain she asks me why I am asking her that and I told her she makes noises like she is in pain and she said " I do"??? Well I don't mean it. She also on occasion recognizes that she made a noise and will say Ugh Ugh and more Ugh!! She was well liked when she first arrived in the assisted living but now others shy away from her and she can't attend a quiet activity its very disturbing. She does it at mealtime too. And in the wating room of the Doctors office. I used to take her out to eat but not anymore for obivious reasons. I know this is a part of the progression of the dementia but it is hard to watch my mom go through this and I miss the mom I used to have..

it's nice to know that we are not alone in caring for a loved one. thank you

No, you are not alone!! And I know it's helps to know that.

Thanks! I am so glad that its "normal". Its just that she usually doesn't even know that she is doing it. Its just so distracting....I just wanted to make sure others were in my boat to. That I wasn't sailing this vessel alone into uncharted waters!

My mom also has dementia and she moans almost all the time, each time she moves she moans and sometimes it drives me crazy.

Have you talked to the doctor about the moaning? It could be some form of discomfort or a part of the dementia. I would look into it more. If it's not a physical problem, you can try to get her to hum a tune or talk to distract her. Definitely talk to the doctor for a follow up. Good luck.

I would have to wonder if there is a possibility of her aspirating? With elderly, it especially seems to come up when they have had something that weakens them or something. It is NOT like a normal choke, it is referred to as a "silent" aspiration, because it does NOT usually result in coughing. They just have mostly liquids, but sometimes other things too, slip into the airway and can result in moaning, clear nasal drainage, throat clearing sometimes.... it will end up turning to pneumonia if it IS the problem and if it goes untreated. Just a suggestion. It is VERY common with the elderly. I saw it all the time when I was a charge nurse in a nursing home... A speech pathologist specializing in Swallow Studies, or Swallow Disorders can diagnose and treat....