I lost my mom on Aug 22. The doctor said it was from an infection that spread through her system from a uti, can anyone relate? - AgingCare.com

I lost my mom on Aug 22. The doctor said it was from an infection that spread through her system from a uti, can anyone relate?

myself and my wife took care of her for as long as we could, then i put her in a nursing home she was 79 when she passed. prior to the uti she had an infection in her finger from which her finger had swollen and the ring had to be cut off,she also had a uti then

17

Answers

We don't realize how many people died of sepsis before antibiotics. Now many bacteria are resistant to antibiotics, so we're seeing more infections get out of hand. I recently had an injury on my ankle that didn't get infected but the wound care doctor used bandages that were impregnated with silver to prevent infection.
I take cranberry capsules to hopefully discourage UTIs. We probably use antibiotics too much and antiseptics not enough. BTW, colloidal silver comes in a liquid form that can be used on dressings or internally (read the labels and directions).

My dad died from pulmonary sepsis. I was just looking at dates and realized it is over 5 1/2 years ago for him, and over four years for my Mom. I still remember everything...maybe not like "yesterday" but not like THAT many years ago...

They treated him quickly with IV antibiotics and steroids and all which had succeeded a couple of times, but we had opted out of transfer to hospital for ICU care. If you are frail or poorly nourished and can't fight off infections well, this is more likely to happen, but it can even happen to young people who are not really in bad shape to start with. Sometimes you can even go into sepsis from a severe viral infection. Sorry for these losses!!

I can relate. My mom constantly had UTI. As soon as she get iver one two weeks later she had another one. She got to the point where she was immune to the antibiotics and they didnt work anymore. UTI's can be dangerous in the elderly. It also caused my mom to hallucinate at times and yes she did get violent sometimes. Elderly that get vuolent does not mean to give you a hard time they are having a hard time themselves. My mom died at age 94 of Sespsis. The infection got into her bloodstream and the antibotics wasnt woeking anymore. As for being in a nursing home....im sorry but nursing gomes doesnt pay much attention to the patients. They didnt notice she had an UTI let alone check for it. Nursing homes doesnt care for the eldey like they should. Im sorry for your loss as i too have walked that path. Prayets of comfort for you.

I SCREAM UTI on almost every post. It is a silent killer of the elderly. Symptoms are SLEEPY, CONFUSED, AGITATED, FORGETFULL, WETTING THEMSELVES. However, most people think their Dimentia or Alzheimers is just getting worse. Basically- Elderly sit all the time, they where adult diapers. They get the UTI from this. It exaserbates their Alzheimers or Dimentia symptoms, its over looked and it spreads into the blood stream. I am so sorry for your loss- its not your fault. UTI's are hard to spot and the only way to know them is to really know your parent well enough that you can say "something changed from yesterday". By then- it can even be too late. My mom is currently on an antibiotic for a UTI, but even after 72 hours she is still sleeping 18 hours. Its a crazy bug.

So sorry that you lost your mom in such a way. Hugs to you.

i want to say thank you for the answers and kind words and may God bless you

Sepsis from a UTI or any infection can happen very rapidly, usually within a few hours and be life threatening even if treatment is started immediately.

William, so sorry for your loss, its very difficult to always know with the elderly, I lost my parents years ago and I miss them every day. I know that she is in a beautiful place now and I hope that brings you peace! Stacey B

William firstly so sorry your mum has passed on xx Urosepsis is pretty nasty and comes on very very quickly - in Mums case about 6 hours and bang she was in hospital for 5 weeks. She was a bit flushed but it was during a hot spell so I didn't take much notice - won't do that again. It's really hard to tell in the elderly especially when there may be other underlying infections. Equally once in hospital it is very easy to pick up more damned infections. Don't blame the nursing home - she was perhaps much more ill than the docs had known and they will have only acted under docs orders ...it is all they are allowed to do.

A lady I cared for had a UTI and was very combative.... she ended up breaking my leg in one of her violent episodes... I had told the family many times before this, I felt she had a UTI... long story short, they put her in a NH, she was treated for 'behavioral problems' and was never checked until it was too late , for a UTI... they sent her home with Hospice, she died three days later... so yes, UTI's can be very serious..... and like someone else mentioned, I will always be haunted by, is there more i could have done,,,, yes I had a broken leg, no , the family would not listen, I was only the 'caregiver', but I know she is in perfect peace and that always helps my heart to heal... so sorry for your loss....