Looking for a product that will eliminate urine odor. Any really good ones on the market?

Mom has incontinence and has lost her sense of smell so she isn't aware of the awful smell. She is basically a clean person, but the smell is unbearable.

14

Answers

I have been incontinent for 10 years. I understand not changing depends if they are only a little wet. They are expensive and you have to wear them a long time to get your monies worth which leads to odor and chafing. After trying many pads for urine incontinence I gave up. Most are to thin or to narrow when you cough or sneeze and you wind up wetting beyond them. SO I experimented with baby diapers.They work great because they are wider. I justflaten out the tabs and slip them into my tight under wear or a girddle to keep them from moving around and I'm good to go. I use size 2 0r 3 at home and size 6 or 7 when I go out. It is amazing how much they hold!! They are much cheaper and better . If you don't like the ones with characters on them you can get the ones that are plan. I personalty like The Parents choice from Walmart the best .I change them every 2 hours or as needed. I don't like being wet.!

Buckshot, sometimes stress can cause the odor.... try the baby wipes or the wipes offered in the toilet paper aisle of the grocery store. I use Cottonell wipes and they work pretty good :)

how do I eliminate the smell of urine of my body. is there a good product out there?

hi how do I get the smell of urine of my body. I wash all the time, use deodorant and powder. nothing work. please help?

I use vinegar. I had a couple of special-needs rabbits so washed many incontinence pads and accidents on the floor. When I washed the pads I added a cup of vinegar. Smell all gone. I also used it on the wood floors when needed. It neutralized the urine very well. I like it, because it is inexpensive. The only thing I dislike is the smell of vinegar.

There is a pet product that is offered in most pet shops -- Nature's Little Miracle. This is supposed to be very good. I haven't tried it myself, since vinegar worked well enough for me. The nice thing about Nature's Little Miracle is it can be sprayed on furniture and other hard-to-treat things. You might want to research it to see if it could work for you.

I'm going to purchase this as soon as I can. Thanks for the info and the hug, I need it.

I use the Odoban spray on Mom's chair and bed. The only thing is that it does have a kind of baby-powder scent that I find a little overpowering - but it fades fairly quickly, and it's better than the urine smell. It does help get rid of the odors.

All of the ideas above are great. Thanks for responding so quickly. Tried some of them, but not the Odoban, will definitely try that and also check with her doctor to see if this could be a UTI. thanks again for the great advice.

In my Mom's case she wears depends and ALWAYS puts a wad of toilet paper in her pants and reuses, reuses and adds more. It is a practice she has done for many years due to chronic diarrhea. I believe this practice is at least partially the cause of the UTI's. Each time I am in the bathroom with her I remind her to get all of that stuff out of there. The most she has had in there is probably six, gross! She had seven UTI's in 2013, none in 2014 though is still putting TP in her pants.

Took her to a urogynecologist for tests and treatment. With the UTI's she would be back in the bathroom to pee sometimes three times in five minutes. The inflammation was causing problems with complete emptying. The doc also put her on a variety of meds including a prophylactic antibiotic. The med are now gradually being reduced to see if we are able to maintain urinary tract healt without all the meds.

And after fifty or sixty years of chronic diarrhea doc suggested to try a probiotic. A MIRACLE! Occurrence of D used to be five or six times a day, naturally it is difficult for a woman in her 80's to keep clean! Now, rarely, even had an ER visit due to constipation, unbelieveable!

All good ideas, but since I just spent a few minutes writing about UTI, thought I'd suggest that, in addition to the above, why not check to see if there is an infection?
Also, if a woman is trying not to use 'too many' Depends because of the cost, and she only tends to 'dribble', it might be worthwhile to use a little pad as a liner, and change those more often. Kind of like using a Kotex in the underwear, which most elderly ladies would remember. Plus, every time she changes the 'little pad', she can freshen up with a baby wipe. Those are nicer, gentler and often less pricey than 'senior' products for the same things.