My father has had problems sleeping through the entire night, into bed by 9pm then wakes up every night about 1 or 2 am and cannot fall back to sleep.

My best friend’s grandmother was from Scotland and had someone fix her a “hot toddy” every night at bedtime. She lived to be 93!
Reply to Shane1124

how old is your dad?
does he have other medical conditions?  just wondering

I find wearing earplugs helps me sleep a little better. small noises can wake me.
plus my husband snores, so its a 'must'. also running a fan directly on the bed helps, trying to sleep in a hot room is hard to do. if I cant sleep I usually have to move to the couch. I don't know why it helps.
I also enjoy chamomile tea. and other sleepy time teas. I have a lot of insomnia, its no fun.
Reply to wally003

Melatonin (I would check with his doctors first), Magnesium oil (which is really a spray), Lavender essential oil, there are also several sleep specific essential oil blends that work but some better for some people...just make sure you are getting pure essential oils from a reputable company and milk kiefer smoothies with banana and frozen black cherries before bed are each things that can work.
Reply to Lymie61

Try melatonin, it is a natural sleep hormone and shouldn't have any side effects. Start with the smallest dose - I gave my mom 1/2 of a 3 mg tablet - and only add more if needed.