I was told to talk to an elderly law attorney in regards to Medicaid spend down for long term care. Most of the lawyers I pulled up on the internet has a consultation fee of $375.00. I live in Chester, Va and Richmond, Va area. Can anyone recommend an elderly law attorney to me that has an office here in Virginia?

Eventually, my husband (parkinson disease, dementia and stroke patient) will have to go into a nursing home and I would to see if he can be approved for Medicaid. His income is over the income requirement for Medicaid.

Thanks in advance.

Ann

Do you have a local Area Agency on Aging (or whatever they might call it where you live)? They may be able to help you find an attorney. My state also has an Elder Law hotline that one can call, and they don't charge for this.
Reply to k12144

I think your needs are taken into consideration as the "community spouse". You will not be left destitute. With my GFs parents, they had 60k in the bank. It was split in half and his portion had to be spent down. She remained in the home and had a car. You can talk to Medicaid yourself. Call for an appt and ask what you need to bring with you. If you feel that its too complicated for you, then get a lawyer. You want one who knows Medicaid.

Sorry, since this forum has members from all over the US, Canada, UK and other countries we cannot recommend lawyers in ur area unless one of us happens to live near you.

Consult fees are around $200 to 400 per hour. It will cost a few thousand dollars to do and can be used as part ov the spend down. You want to do this right so that there are no surprises. Do realize that someone will have to look at the last 5 years of expenses and keep good records while the spendown occurs.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page to find a person in your area. You may find a few ratings there as well.