Where can I get someone to look after my wife for a couple of weeks so I can go somewhere and rest? I couldn't afford to pay much. - AgingCare.com

Where can I get someone to look after my wife for a couple of weeks so I can go somewhere and rest? I couldn't afford to pay much.

16

Answers

Sorry Jake the idea was for a week of Physical Therapy at a facility. Neglected to say that.

No easy answers, talk to your doctor I found this helpful perhaps he could recommend your loved one could use some daily physical therapy almost all could use some in some way. This helped my father improve and he is bed bound but it helped him help me to care for him by getting the extra strength. It was such a help in many ways. Medicare A will pay up to 100 days but only coming from a hospital visit my Dad had B which has no option. My doctor was my last resort and it worked!

Hi Jake, You can get respite care for your loved one, it is not just for Hospice patients, look into nursing homes in your area, some insurances will pay and also your Home owners insurance will sometime pay for respite care, call your home owners agent and ask him if it is covered in your policy, and if not see if you can have it added. I hope I could help. You need time to yourself to regroup. I will be praying for you. Keep your chin up, it will be alright!!!!!!!!!!

Check with the Area Agency on Aging. They know of people who do respite care and they also offer respite vouchers to help pay for it with.

I agree with the websites that have been listed for you. I have been a Care Giver for the past 3 years. I live in Clear Lake, TX. If you live in my area I would be very happy to help you and my fees are not out rageous. Family members should not have to pay a ridiculous price just to have some "time out" for themselves in respect to taking care of their parent(s). More "love and giving" should be done in this world of ours. My prayers are with you. Please talk to God because he will help you find a way.

I used to say a change of problems was like a vacation, lol. I am surrounded by ocean and have been to the beach to swim once in the past decade. Jeanne you are correct about Medicare coverage for respite... I found out also that my mom would have to be under Hospice care (or at least qualified for Hospice). Since I can't go anywhere, I spend time outside gardening, birdwatching and watching my fish in the pond I made. If you can play an instrument you can spend a little time playing. Sing in the shower even if you can't hold a tune. I hope you find a way to have a vacation. :-)

Hi,

Some additional suggestions besides family and friends. You can call the Eldercare locator number at ( 800 ) - 677 - 1116. They will ask for the location of your wife and a brief description of her condition.

We've used a combination of Adult Day Care and community volunteers when we needed a break. I was amazed with the quality of the adult day care programs ( arts and crafts, music, etc.... )

You can also checkout the following websites for additional assistance

1. http://www.sharethecare.org/ (helps you put together a group care plan)
2. http://archrespite.org/respitelocator (national respite locator)
3. http://www.voa.org ( volunteers of America )
4. http://www.nadsa.org/ ( Adult day care )

@jakeh80 ~ When I faced the same problem, I went to his doctor and asked to get some respite. He then went to a nursing home for a week or two at a time. I was able to get away and get much needed rest/respite. Good luck to you.

Contact your local Dept. of Aging to see what programs are available for respite care. They also can provide volunteer visitors so that you can at least get a break for a few hours several times a week. The agencies are far too pricey.

Sebring
I thought it was a great idea, a different view of the world is good for all of us! Your Social Services Dept should also be a good 1st point of call, there must be many
voluntary services on a charitable basis who could step in.
We adopted 2 special needs kids who were very troubled, and know exactly where you are at.
Be proud of seeking help rather than making yourself ill with worry for that will not
help your relative, it does not mean you do not love them, just that you need a
break. Bravo for your honesty! Good luck!