Locked bedroom doors at nursing home?

We are currently looking at nursing homes for my mother who has Alzheimer's. The home that we like the best has one policy that I'm unsure of. Anytime a resident in their Alzheimer's wing is in their bedroom the bedroom door is locked from the outside. My fear is that my mom will panic if she can't get out of her bedroom. I also worry about the safety aspect. Do other dementia nursing homes do this? Is it legal in Michigan?

16

Answers

When you have these little niggling doubts about something, listen to your instincts. I would be VERY uncomfortable with that. Keep looking.

Also what was so good about this place?? just curious?

Carolann this sounds so wrong and like an institution not a home for the elderly? I would report this it cant be legal?
Oh i see pam is already on the case good old pam!!

And it's for everyone, all the time. Not just those who need a "time out."

FYI....the bedrooms are locked from both sides. The aides use a key to get in.

Oh im lucky that i have 2 very good NHs here and i have friends whose parents are in there so iv had feedback! Try and ask someone in the NH the families that come to visit thats the best way I think! No i wont have to look far as these 2 have a very good reputation and ive heard they are extending which is great news as it was hard to get a place there! I am being told to put mums name down now i must do it but i guess its hard to think this way and i still think she may go before a home? But we never know? so hard to find a good place its a disgrace really!

Worse, than that Kazzaa, let's say you are locked IN, but the door can be opened from the hall. That means a hallucinating person can get IN, and now you are stuck in your room with someone talking to holes in the wall. And good luck with that pull cord.

Wow! things we learn here? i can understand locking doors if they are violent? but this is NUTS!

Thank you for your comments. They reflect my feelings. I think I'll look elsewhere.