Is Life Alert worth the money to help someone when they fall ? - AgingCare.com

Is Life Alert worth the money to help someone when they fall ?

My question has to do with falls, my father has fallen 4 times and my 90 year old mother and I are not able to lift him off the floor. We have called on our neighbor's teenage sons to help us out. My question would Life Alert really help ? Or would it be better for my father he go to his Physical Therapist and learn how to strengthen his legs and learn techniques on how to pick himself up when he falls?

18

Answers

Should your dad also have a bone density test?

Had Life Alert for my Mom. When I tested it monthly, I always got a "call would not go through" message or it would just ring and ring with no answer. Good thing she never had to use it.

Agree with earlier poster that the person must be mentally alert enough to push the button APPROPRIATELY. One elder I knew (late 90s) fell in the middle of the night and lay on the floor all night -- didn't push the button because she was afraid the firemen would damage her front door. Several weeks ago another friend I know was talking about how she was beside herself, because her Mom fell, called the daughter, waited until the daughter got to the house, THEN pushed the button "to see how well it would work". It worked fine, but daughter justifiably frustrated, since Mom could have just as easily called 911 on the SAME CELL PHONE SHE HAD CALLED HER DAUGHTER WITH. Things that make you go "ARGH"!
Another neighbor no way no how was going to be allowed to have one, as she already had repeatedly called 911 when she was stuck in the recliner after getting up late at night, rather than calling for the caregiver in the room 25' away (She had 24 hr caregivers. She also had the habit of calling family members 17 times in a row if they didn't answer the phone---not surprisingly they became even less inclined to take her calls.....)

I got my mom a Life Alert upgraded medallion which detects a fall without the person pressing the button. The local EMS has come to the house a few times when she fell. The subscription through the local VNS is $51/month (a difference of $13).

How I wish I could get my Dad a Life Alert or similar. My Mom is always calling me whenever Dad falls. Good heavens, I have enough problems trying to lift a heavy bag of groceries much less trying to lift my Dad. Mom is 96 and frail, but she tries to go through the motion thinking she is helping. We have to wait until my significant others comes to their house so he can lift Dad, who is also in his 90's.

I had my parents primary doctor try to recommend an alert system, but Dad said "no, that is for old people"..... [sigh]

jeannegibbs , great idea about checking with the local EMTs to see what is they policy about helping picking up an elder who has fallen. At least they know professionally how to pick someone up so not to hurt them further.

Also I saw on TV about a cane that one can use no matter how uneven the terrain would be.... most of my Dad's falls are outside when he is doing yard work.... he would be bending down to pull a weed and keeps on going forward until he's face down in the lawn or dirt. In his mind he still thinks he is 50 years old and can still do everything around his house.

I had the Life Alert for my mom last year. One morning in October, 2012, I got an EMAIL from her (she was 91 then) telling me that she thought she was having a heart attack. I just about had one when I read it - called her immediately and she sounded awful. Called the ambulance and got her to the hospital and it was a back fracture, thank God not a heart attack. She is very sharp mentally but when all she had to do was push this button she somehow got herself to the computer and emailed me.

I think Life Alert is great as long as you are not getting it for someone with dementia or someone who is adamant they do not need help in anyway what so ever.

For more information, contact your local area agency on Aging.
http://www.agingcarefl.org/services-and-providers/

Also try The American Association of Kidney Patients - Home
www.aakp.org/‎
The American Association of Kidney Patients (AAKP) is a national organization that reaches one million people yearly affected by kidney disease.

Katelynn, if he falls call 911, they will come and pick him up. You should get assistance, because he is only semi-ambulatory if he is falling down, and with the bad knees and O2 and edema he should definitely NOT be driving. Take his keys away and have a long chat with the MD.
For us, the medical alert button is a waste of money, Mom won't push the button and embarrass herself, and in a moment of crisis, she forgets she even has it. She just panics and calls us, LOL!

I think Life Alert is worth it. But the senior must understand it and know how to use it. My mother would just leave it on her dresser all day. They would call her to check on her and she would be annoyed at their calls. At first she didn't understand why it didn't work all over town. After awhile she didn't understand it all. So we dropped it.