My mom will not wake up in the morning, is it okay if I let her sleep in late every day? - AgingCare.com

My mom will not wake up in the morning, is it okay if I let her sleep in late every day?

My Mom won't get up anymore in the mornings. She started having issues with mobility about 2 weeks ago. Now she can't stand, get up, or walk on her own. I have been putting her in a transport chair in the mornings, but today she doesn't seem to want to get up at all. She has been sleeping longer and longer every day. She has also been taking in very little fluid (maybe 8 - 12 oz a day) and very little food if any. I don't know what to do. Should I just let her continue on this way? I took her to the doctor and he said this is just part of her normal decline. She has Frontal Temporal Dementia but is still communicating with me, though I am not sure she is aware all the time what is going on. Any suggestions?

26

Answers

1 3
If you have access to VNA Hospice take advantage of it.They are so caring and helpful. In my situation, we have the finances to bring in private 24/7 care. These people have gotten Mom to eat even when she says she's not hungry, bathe her and get out of bed to watch TV. Best of luck and my prayers are with you.

I want to thank everyone for their responses to this post. It has been so very helpful to me. We just had Hospice come in and give us a consultation. They did agree that my Mom is ready for Hospice and in most likely hood only has a short time left, possibly weeks. I appreciate so much everyone's input. Making the decision to have Hospice come was hard, but I am so glad that I did. I feel a great deal of relief to know what is happening and what we need to plan for. For those of you who seem to be in a similar situation as I am, please get some assistance and contact Hospice. If your loved one isn't ready, they will let you know. At least you will have some sort of advice that can help you with making decisions. Thanks again to all of you.

Oh yellowfever, I went thru the impaction in the ER with my mom over a year ago. She started on 2 Tablespoons of miralax in her tea every morning, and we are down to just 1 teaspoon daily and she is ALWAYS fine now. (I get her to drink 4 ozs with it by holding a straw up to her)The Dr says its fine to do it daily and its been our savior.(of course check with your dr) Its hard gettng adjusted as the large dosage I started off with made her have diareahea at first but now we are fine here. If your Mom is impacted, its impacted all the way up her colon , which is bad. There is a vagus nerve near their anus which can give them a stroke or heart attack I was told in the hospital so I dont do it myself now, I did once and the 2nd time we went to the ER. (what a horrible experience, never again)
Poor thing, and poor you. I also have a great recipe for giving her to eat like 1/4 cup of daily, or with her morning pills: The dr told me they eat it up at the nursing homes and it keeps them under control. I used to do it twice a day but now only mornings so she gets "rid of it" during the day.........................
Cook on the stove in a small pan..
I can of prune juice (5.5 ozs)
2/3 cup applesauce
2/3 cup bran flakes (or raisin bran)
Heat it on low until it all dissolves. I add sugar also to make it sweeter and she loves it .

My mom is doing the same, hardly any fluids or food. Her average intake a day is 6-8 oz of fluid and (2-3) 3.5oz of baby food (calorie intake between 180-250/day)that I feed to her thru medicine syringe. My mom has been on Hospice since May. I feared that she was starving. But Hospice nurse reassured me that her body is adjusting to her decline in health and she no longer needs alot to survive. My mother is in last stage Dementia.
If your mom is sleeping reasonable thru the night, then let her sleep during the day. Example yesterday mom sleep a total of 18 hours, today she has been awake since 6am so its a sleep rollercoaster here. But trust me from experience, the more you try to fight them to "wake up" or "stay awake" they more they fight it. Mom will become so restless and anxious when I force her to stay up. Thats where Hospice has helped me understand its okay for that extra sleep. I now know that when she is sleeping she is at peace.
Talk to her doctor and see if Hospice is right for her at this time. I am so pleased with the support system mom has 24/7 from Hospice.
**One more thing*** Since your mother is no longer moving alot or eating alot be attentive to her Bowel movements. Even though your mom doesn't have a good intake she still should be moving her bowels somewhat every 3 days(Hospice advised). My mother gets impacted alot now. It might gross you out but you need to check for impaction and disimpact if nessecary. If you don't feel comfortable thats where Hospice nurse will come in handy for you. Twice this week I had to "clean out" mom. I don't need to worry about the urine end cause mom has a foley. This is something that I might have overlooked if it wasn't for the nurse.
Don't stress too much she will awaken and eat when she is ready. I spent weeks freaking out when mom started like your mom. Now when her eyes open I am standing there with food and fluid ready to shove in. At this point thats the best I can do is TRY!!!!

She needs to be evaluated for depression through a testing screen called the Cornell Depression Screen. She can receive some medication to make her a little more "with it". The problem with staying in bed all day is that she becomes a risk for developing bed sores or decubidus. This is extremely painful. Keeping her a bit mobile also help to prevent contractures of her limbs. You might want to consider getting a home nurse to help. If the finances don't allow that, get her screened by you local area on aging, so that you can get services from that. Also, you may want to join a support group through the Alzheimer's Association. You will find support from others who are in the same footsteps as you. Hope that helps!

Thanks quakerite, can you please contact them to tell them you hit me by mistake, lol, thats all I need. I will look for one!

To luvmom - I got the lamp from Gaiam. I think it's called the happy light. About $200. I use it too when I'm doing yoga - it's great! (p.s. I accidentally hit "report this post" when I was going to respond to you - hope the internet police don't drag you away).

Good Evening All. I am so happy to be able to read the suggestions in this post. I am lucky enough to care for my Mom 24/7 in order to repay her a very small amount for what she has done for me in my 51 years of life. This will most likely not help or be relative to the question at hand, but a friend of my Mother's sent me info on a study that was being done linking sleep apnea with dementia. It just happened to come at the time that I was hearing all sorts of strange noises coming from her room in the middle of the night. I was not sleeping much at all in the beginning of all this. Turns out she does have sleep apnea and stops breathing about 30-50 times an hour! She uses a c-pap machine now and she is not cured, but her memory has definetely improved and she is MUCH sharper! She almost NEVER takes naps any more and wants to go all the time. She's actually wearing me out! The study also showed that there have been mis-diagnoses of dementia when it was only sleep apnea. Just wanted to put that out there. God Bless You All for caring for your loved ones!!!!!!

Good info again. MY Mom cannot do daycare any longer because we cannot get her into the car without a struggle and her sight is half gone along with her walking. Can I ask where you got the mood light, I think thats a great idea.
How do all of you keep your loved ones DRY sleeping so long? Any good diapers out there? I used depends with extra pads in them and a cheapo diaper over all of that and she still wets thru. I cut the late fluids too, ugh. How long is long to sleep, I fugure anything over 12 hours is dangerous, any one know? Thanks all ...

I think that hospice/ palliative care consult is a good idea. It is difficult to tell if "this is it" or your mom needs motivation and routine activity to lively her up. I am a nurse, but i am hospital trained, and was not attuned to the changes in my mom in the 3 years i cared for her. My patients either got better and left the hospital or were acutely ill and died. My mom died in March @ 96 y.o.God love you for what you and all of you do. Jean

1 3