How can I legally get the keys from him?

I am still having issues with the truck keys. He will ask me to go to the store and get him a beer or a cigar and if I tell him no or I am too tired. Then he says then I'll go and get it and here we go ..I say no I don't want you driving and he says why. And it's on. How can I legally get the keys from him without physically doing it myself and maybe getting hurt ? His doctor, the police ? If I hide them he will have a fit. They have been in the same place for a year. This is the only vehicle we have.

19

Answers

That's good to keep the keys out of his reach. Even if a dementia patient promises not to drive, one day they may forget that promise, get the keys and leave.

My cousin stopped driving when she forgot how to get out of her car and a neighbor had to open the door for her. However, I still took all the car keys out of the house. Days later, she tried to get into her car for no apparent reason. She also asked me to get her car fixed. I told her it needed repair and wouldn't run. She was okay with that.

I have a similar problem with my husband and the car keys. I have resorted to wearing a (quite unfashionable apparently) waist pack, using the excuse that it is better for keeping my phone not in my pocket, (as well as the car keys). When I take it off at night I try to put it someplace less visible should he get up at night. He has gone through my bag before and hidden the keys. I put my bag under the bed on my side or in a bottom drawer as he has balance issues and can't bend down that far. It is tedious but much safer all around. I drive him wherever he needs to go so for the moment he isn't complaining, but he does have impulsivity issues so I have to be on guard all the time. He got really upset once that I hadn't left the keys for him when I went out. I said he could call his daughter or physician and if they really felt he should be driving he could have the keys back. So far he hasn't called about it.

You are absolutely right. Driving has not come up in a while so maybe he has accepted it and is not going to talk about it. But if he does I will tell him he needs to take a senior driving test before I will let him drive and if he won't do that then all bets are off. Thank you....

tarajane, have you tried "replacing the keys" with ones that are different but look the same ?? then just play dumbfounded that they wont work in the truck....I would be very careful with telling the police about the guns...they could end up shooting him ,even if hes not armed at the time...or arresting him and how would he do behind bars in his condition...??? and the jail will not care about that.. if he got loud and started banging on the cell doors and yelling.They would end up putting him in isolation, and if they deem him sucidial, then he goes in there naked...and the medicial staff is a joke . better to have him committed than arrested or killed .

TJ, I've been reading through this thread and I can really identify on a couple levels. I'm an old guy, I like beer, trucks and cigars and would just get so pissed if my wife interfered with this stuff. But she does, so I behave, somewhat, but I don't have dementia , yet.......

I also identify cause my dad is 85 with dementia, is still driving, just disarmed his last gun and he gets really pissed if he thinks mom or I are cramping his style, so we have to be very sneaky.

I can't offer a solution, you're getting lots of good advice from all these nice folks and I think you are doing all that anyone could do given the situation. So hang in there kid, we're all hoping the very best for you as you travel this rough road.

TJ, My husband fell from a ladder onto a concrete surface. After 5 weeks in the hospital he came home. He did fully recover (except for depression, subject for another post). He agreed to take a driving test at a rehab center that can also evaluate if there are some adaptive measures that would make driving safer. He passed that test, and they gave him some suggestions.

Ten years later he was diagnosed with dementia. His wonderful doctor said, "I am required to report this diagnosis to the DMV. They will revoke your license. I am very sorry." A few visits later he asked her if he could drive again if he passed that handicapped driver exam. She hesitated and then said, "If you pass that examine then I will write to DMV on your behalf." It was a pretty safe promise. Sometimes he would say, "I think I'm almost ready to take that exam," but eventually he dropped that subject, knowing himself that he couldn't pass.

Leaving it up to an objective test can get the monkey off your back. I hope this works well for you!

I have decided to tell him if he still wants to drive to go take a driving test for seniors !!!! That should do it ........ I will let you know

Tarajane, replace the truck key with an identical key that doesn't work (one with a cut missing, or an extra chip), have the locksmith help you. If you have an identical key, use that one to jimmy-rig so it won't work because it will look older.

Make a big fuss when he tries to drive it, saying you can't even start the car! How are you going to drive it! Here, let me help you, and you drive.

Oh dear, this is getting hard, there must be a more honest way?

Well, tonight I told my husband I would not go get him a beer and I thought his was coming off. He said you mean because you said NO I can't get a beer? I said yeah, he said well, give me some money and I will walk so I gave him $10.00 to walk 13 miles.....called his bluff...didn't go but boy did he call me trash and other things but not Bitch or anything. He said he was going to get an atty and have all his money yanked out of my account and see if I could make it on my money (which I can't) but I know no atty will do that. We would have to divorce for everything to be split in half. I told him I would get him a beer tomorrow when I was in the town that sold it. He says he doesn't like the Aericept, it makes him nervous. He wants to try Namenda. I have a call in to his memory nurse. I have to start with her first. Then I told him he could sell his guns and get some money but he would have no part of that!!! Just don't know anymore......he did say he wanted that shoulder surgery ASAP so he could be free to go where he wanted yeah, LOL

911, my husband, who has been drinking and has dementia/alzheimer's has just left here driving his truck, license plate _______. He may have his guns with him.
He may be headed for ______local liquor store. Please don't shoot, he is sick.