Can we legally video a respite caregiver we suspect of stealing medication? - AgingCare.com

Can we legally video a respite caregiver we suspect of stealing medication?

22

Answers

1 3
If you suspect the caregiver is stealing medications, dismiss the caregiver. If you can't trust the caregiver with the medications, don't trust them with the care of your elderly parent or family member. Get a replacement.

I know it is legal in Minnesota. As a caregiver it is insulting if done after you have been working there a long time and if you know you are honest. If possible people should have them set up before you hire the caregiver and then let them know before hiring that the cameras are there. Then the caregiver has a chance to decide if they want to work under those conditions. It could save you a lot of worry and time.

I am currently working for a.parapelegic who has 12 cameras in and out with crowd every where his family has online access swell as the security company I think it's a great idea if they have nothing to worry about there would be no objection...

Re: alwayslearning, I just simply thought my opinion as a little commence. If you smells smoke come our would be a fire....The homeowner wants set up those camera to protect thire love one's. I'm paid caregiver I really don't mind at all. I love to set up camera for my mobile home to catch what kind of creatures walking around my roof!!! LoL

Yes it's legal to hide cameras, we have one in every room except the bathroom and it's all recorded. We caught wonderful caregivers asleep on the couch, and outside smoking. It is not legal to use audio in our State, check online for your info but definitely use cameras. Ours are hidden, no one knows and when I worked I could go online to check on them. I saw my mom fall once and called for help before the caregiver even called me, even the best aren't the best, this will show you who is best. I would do anything to make sure my mom is 100% safe.

Dear StFrancis2,
I believe you have all the right to install cameras in your home. You can install anything in your own home, even a spaceship if you wanted to. It's your home and u can do anything you want in your home. I've heard [as the others said above] that many parents do it for their babysitters. I also suspected one of my caregivers of stealing from us too. But I have no proof but I am sure she stole because we cannot find a certain item and it was there only days before and nobody else was here who could of stolen it. Then I started worrying what else she stole, did she go on my computer, did she get my credit card statements, personal information, etc...? I would not put it past her to have done those things since she went nuts on me toward the end. In the end, we fired that organization because this crazy CG was like Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde! She should of been fired from the organization because she truly has something wrong with her brain.....not dementia, but a sociopath or something like that! But at that time we were so pressured with everything else that sis just reported her to her boss about her actions with Mom and me and not the stolen item [cause we had no proof] but she did other mean and nasty things to Mom and me, and told the boss that she was the only reason you lost us as a client and not the other girls.

Absolutely you can. We recently had a similar problem in our county. Stealing cash. Police used a "nanny cam" which led to prosecution.

Thats aweful. I say heck yes video. If I ever have to have someone other than myself take care of mom you betcha there will be eyes on those people. I used to do daycare and lots of the centers I worked for had cameras. It was weird at first because it was new but then I just did my job and loved those babies and forgot all about the cameras. I have to hide meds in our home because of one of my sisters. Long story another time. Sad. I hear it's common but so wrong. I reported my sister and the social workers from Kaiser asked all about it when mom went to the hospital once. I felt bad she could have went to jail but it's not ok to take them.

I would check with your local police, from the link above your state says all parties need to know.
there should be a way you can set this person up, criminals are basically stupid.
I like Idaho laws only one person and that is the person doing the recording.
Blessings on you. ~M

Set up cameras, but a friend of mine set up cameras to catch a caregiver who was suspected of stealing meds. When the police showed up, the "caregiver" produces a prescription for the med that was taken and the cop could not arrest her. He said he had no way of knowing if it was her med or the father's med. Never mind that the med had been hidden from the caregiver in an upstairs closet in an unused bedroom. This happened in Alabama. Different states may have different laws.
Good luck! It's sad, but so many ppl have told me to lock up EVERYTHING when we started having sitters come in for my mom. That is low. And it's not like you aren't stressed to the max already.

1 3