My brother designated the beneficiaries for all his assets. His will designates the recipients of personal belongings. Upon his death is Probate necessary? What is the legal process to follow after his death?

As an Executor you may still need to get a Short Certificate to handle his banking, stocks etc. Did he leave a home? Is it in trust? If everything is all set up that probate is not needed, then you just make sure that everything is distributed correctly. That beneficiaries get what they need to file claims. The Probate Office can help you sort it out.

Simple probate of filing a will or for small amounts of non beneficiery assets such as a checkbook will only cost a small fee for self filing or just a few hundred with a lawyer. When I filed a form for my dad in 2010. I had to list beneficiery names with addresses but that was all. Things will depend on if any of the fund holders request that important paper that names an executor. Before any distributions, it is best to contact all financial institutions to see if there are any requirements. If all say that there are no restrictions, you are good to go. Just remember that money needs to be set aside to complete this year's taxes. If there is a sizable
inheritance, the accountant still needs to attach a k1 form for every beneficiery to file with their taxes that show the windfall was due to inheritance.
For the past two executorship, I had about 5 death certificates but more and more usually ask for a copy

My dad’s will and life estate deed on his home were structured in such a way that I didn’t have to go through probate. Much depends on what assets there are, real estate being the big one, and how the will is written. Though I didn’t do probate I still got the advice of a lawyer for closing out the estate and asset distribution. It was well worth the money for the sound advice. I’d definitely check with a lawyer for guidance and I’m sorry you’re going through this
Reply to Daughterof1930

If his will document has the name of the law firm/attorney who drafted it, you can contact them for guidance (as long as they practice NYS). It's possible that his estate may still need to go through probate but it shouldn't take as long. Hopefully you requested multiple copies of his death certificate (like 10-15) which will be required by all of the financial institutions and insurance companies. I'm sorry for your loss.
Reply to Geaton777