What is the legal residential Memory Care staffing ratio in California? - AgingCare.com

What is the legal residential Memory Care staffing ratio in California?

My dad is in a memory care facility and it doesn't seem they have sufficient staff. I want to know what is legally required of the care facility.

1

Answer

The highest overall staffing requirement is in California, at 3.2 RN hours per resident day, excluding administrative nurses.
Most facilities evaluate the hours needed for each patient, total that and then divide it into shifts. Where you may see 6:1 during the day when patients are active, I have seen night shifts drop to aides of 40:1 on the 11-7 shift. I live in NY.

• If your elderly loved one dies while they are staying in a nursing home, can you sue the home for wrongful death? Nursing homes can include special passages—called "binding arbitration clauses"—in their contracts with residents to limit their chances of being taken to court.
  • Nursing homes of the past were known as institution-like environments, where people went to die. Today's nursing homes have been modernized and are comfortable home-like settings and have changed over time.