Leg cramps, tonic water, ringing and roaring in the ears - Who knew?

Mom (90) has been having leg cramps for past 5 days. Saw cardiologist, had blood work, had ultrasound to rule out blood clots...everything checked out ok. Still having leg cramps. PCP on vacation and substituting doc suggests Tonic water to help with leg cramps. After first glass, mom became agitated and complained about roaring sounds and what is wrong. "I am going crazy"...I assured her she was not crazy (I have ringing in my ears due to neurological damage and have had for 9+ years) and turned on TV and Fan for background noise. Got out the computer and typed in Side effects of Quinine in Tonic water and --- some people have adverse effects and can develop irregular heart beats, head aches and ringing in the ears... Mom tends to have spells of irregular heart beats anyway...now I have to worry about this until we flush this out...Great I have problems sleeping on a good night and now have more to worry about because of a 50 cent bottle of tonic water!

Have you found similar reactions? What other things have you tried for leg cramps...perhaps with less side effects? Experience with other things that doctors have suggested that sound innocent but caused problems with your senior?

28

Answers

1 2 3
Just tried the ICY HOT spray --- On sale at rite aid this week --- and that works like a charm! Also on her arthritic knee...Bonus!

Don't bother. If it gives them some comfort, leave them alone. Stop them if you know of a better way. I use that Leg Cramp med. It is really fast and also stopped pain in the top of my foot.

It sure could be! Anyway to get them stop I'll try!! :))

Some times it is just a psychological effect. I can't imagine how a bar of soap at the foot of the bed can prevent leg cramps. Maybe if someone likes to rub her feet against the soap, it may be the movement that stops the cramps. I guess, if that's the case, anything would do.

Thanks vja1951. And yes, my foot dr. told me it was old wives tale but that she had had too many people tell her it works so she passes it along.

Thanks folks for all of your suggestions! We have a bunch of new things to try!

Blood tests not necessarily effective in determining magnesium and other trace mineral levels as they identify only what is in blood at time taken. Hair analysis offered by many holistic practitioners, MD's is much more accurate.

I had debilitating leg craps when I was a child (mostly at night when I tried to sleep) and was told it was due to poorly fitting shoes and flat feet. I was given expensive shoe inserts that did nothing, even made things worse. As I got older I found exercise helped a lot, and I think growing helped (getting taller, etc.).

But after I broke my leg (in my late 40s) the leg I broke got cramps on a regular basis – cramps so bad that I would uncontrollably scream out in pain and could not walk. The only things that helped were acupressure and TENS. You can do both w/o going to a doctor. I use the Tony Little TENS machine (about $99 at HSN – I have NO association with HSN or Tony Little) and I do my own acupressure. I was lucky because I happened on the acupressure point by accident and I knew about TENS therapy from previous injuries (for which I spent thousands on expensive TENS physical therapy).

Where the cramps are coming from (at what point in the leg or foot they start) is important to know, in order to know what acupressure point to press on or where to place the TENS pads. But I highly recommend both – each has virtually no side effects if done properly. You can consult a physical therapist for a while, just long enough to find out the pressure points and the place to put the TENS pads (and what strength to use), and after that you can do it at home with little to no cost (after the initial purchase of the TENS machine).

aurawave-perfect-tens-pain-relief-by-tony-little/7600286

Other causes of leg cramps can be something as simple as dehydration – and many people are dehydrated when they don’t realize it. So please make sure you mother gets enough liquids each day – liquids w/o added salt or sugar. Too little potassium, calcium or magnesium in your diet can contribute to leg cramps so make sure she’s getting enough of all of these – but it’s best if she gets it through her diet (food) instead of pills. And be VERY careful about taking calcium supplements as some research shows it can cause more harm than good.

PS) I have issues with ringing in the ears and sensitivity to sound (sounds others cannot hear) for many years. I found taking 5,000 IU of vitamin D every day helps a great deal. Please ask your doctor if this is something you can try for your mother. I’m not saying asking him if he thinks it will help (because most doctors will say vitamins can’t help, that’s what they are taught), I’m suggesting you ask him if he thinks it will harm her. If it wont’ harm her, I recommend trying it. It can make her calmer and in a better mood too.

About leg cramps – Mayo Clinic:

mayoclinic/diseases-conditions/muscle-cramp/basics/causes/con-20014594

I wish you and your mother well. I hope this information helps.

Leg cramps-not my idea of a fun time. It's important to get enough fluids in each day, if toxins aren't expelled from the body then they build up and can cause some cramping. Zinc and magnesium are also important in muscle function but I'd speak with her regular doc before adding a supplement just to make sure it doesn't interfere with any of her medications. Sometimes, raising the leg and pointing the toes straight out can help, also standing on it or putting that foot on a stair or block and pushing down on the heel can ease the cramping. Everyone is different. Hope you find something that helps.

Magnesium. Leggings. More water.

1 2 3