Is there type of place where you can "leave" your elderly parent, say for a week, while you vacation? - AgingCare.com

Is there type of place where you can "leave" your elderly parent, say for a week, while you vacation?

lol...kind of like the pet hotel.

16

Answers

is there a need in the Canfield Ohio area?

Please check out the community that has respite care-everything inthisalone stated is correct-I will be using a facility like this in April when I go on vacation. Please check into it and have some peace of mind of leaving your loved one.

Hi, In Deming, New Mexico I met a person who's husband was unable to travel with her he had a stroke and wanted to say while she was visiting the kids, she contacted the local assisted living home which houses approximately 30 people the had rooms vacant so the offered her placement for 5 day for very reasonable rate, also check your insurance if it covers home care where you can have someone stay with family member giving you a break. It is cheaper for the insurance company to give you a break that place full time on the system. Call your local assisted living or nursing homes with activities for short term placement. You deserve a break maybe you have a friend who knows someone or can also refer you call local agency on ageing. And enjoy your vacation. Lena

Look in your area, depending on what type of care she needs, you can get a "respite" stay. You'll have to pay, but you'll know there are qualified people looking over her and managing her care, feeding her and set up for emergency situations, should one occur. Hope this helps.

Sue

I found that most Assisted Living facilities have respite care programs. Also the cost is usually based on the level of care for the parent. Also, at least from our experience, you need to have paperwork from the Assisted Living facilty filled in by the primary care doctor of the parent, plus a current TB test and list of all medcations. A lot of paperwork needed to be completed. Also, the only down side about respite care is a lot of places require a maximum stay time of two weeks to 30 days. We were lucky to find a place that is real flexible with the respite stay and will take Mom from 3 days to as long as we need per stay. But you really have to do a lot of research. If you have access to the internet just google local respite care and start making some phone calls. Good luck and I hope you find what you need.

If she requires non-ambulatory care and medication or other health care monitoring, then a respite care bed at an assisted living or SNF might be the best. Respite $ depends on what they need to provide - if you're looking to transition her to IL or AL it also maybe a good way to find a place for her that meets her needs and that she likes.

If she can do for herself on her own and you want it so that she
is not alone just in case, then a home health agency might be
a good option. That way she can stay in familiar settings. The cost depends on what they need to do. It's a 4 hr minimum.
You want to ask them how they handle emergencies - some
will call 911, watch them load her into the EMS vehicle and that's that; others have RN's available that can come to evaluate what needs to be done. Call a couple of them as they will want to come to your home before they take the job to
see what's what and you want to evaluate them too.

The PCH idea is great if you can find one that will work you and your mom. Good luck.

Private Care Home perhaps?

I don't know your mothers mental or physical capacity but I think it's always important to treat them with respect. Part of respecting them is to ask them where they'd like to stay while you are gone and work from there. I've found that most seniors prefer to stay at home. It's less change, more comfortable and they like familiar surroundings. If that is what she prefers, I'd like to recommend an In Home, Non-Medical care company, come into your home. If I'm going to be out of town, I want to make sure my mom's well taken care of and I'm not getting calls non-stop about her being unhappy with where's she's staying.

Laura_ PCH stands for personal care home-and found in assisted living........As mentioned you would be seeking respite cate for your Mom-however, be sure the facility can offer special care to your Mom's medical needs, as not all facilites are.
Best,
Hap

I made some calls and also had assistance from Aging Care and found some local assisted living places that do respite care. I found their rates at $125.00 per day (24 hr) but I also have a cleaning lady that we know and have used several times for the same rate. I believe it works better to have them in their familiar environment. I beleive that rate is reasonable assuming you receive proper care.