Does anyone know about the WI laws dealing with Family Care?


I am trying to get my parents into a memory care CBRF in Wisconsin and am very confused. First they need to obtain residency in that state and they do not have the required 2 years of funding as asked for. I am being told one thing by the Executive Director but when I read the paperwork it is different. I am scared about signing anything, especially when it says responsible party. I am being told that when I apply for Family Care they will get it and be able to live the rest of their lives there but again the paperwork says different. I do not want to put them in a NH but I am running out of options. Please help, anyone ? I am totally overwhelmed. They would only be able to pay private pay for 6 to 8 months and what happens if during the waiting period to see if they have been approved or not they run out of money, who pays for their care and if they are kicked out of the facility how would I be able to bring them back to IL with no money? My husband and I do not have that kind of money and my sisters do not either. My moms dementia is getting worse and my dad has parkinsons and his memory is going now. Right now they live at home with a caregiver 24/7 and I know the transition is going to be very hard on my mom. I am trying to talk to an elder law lawyer but so far he has not called me back after 3 days. It seems like there are so few options when you don't have a lot of money. I never thought this would be happening to my parents and I am all alone in this. Somehow there has to be an answer, just haven't found it yet. In the meantime this is all affecting my health and I am not coping well at all. Can someone please shed some light on this subject?

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing


Contact Disability Rights Wisconsin.
Helpful Answer (0)

I can understand your frustration and distress. There will be an answer. Hang in there!

I take it that your parents are now in IL, but that you want them to live in WI? Or do they currently live in WI? Perhaps you could clarify the geographic element here.

You are very wise not to sign any paperwork at this time. Definitely avoid signing ANYTHING as "responsible party." That would make you financially responsible.

How does Family Care relate to Medicaid? Is it Wisconsin's way of administering the federal Medicaid program? It is generally true that once someone qualifies for Medicaid they are on it the rest of their lives.

When you are able to consult with an Elder Law attorney, I think you act act with more confidence and less stress. I assume the lawyer is in WI, right? Will you be meeting in person?
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.