Lady has urinary incontinence and smells. How can I help?

I need your advise: my landlord is old lady and she seems have a problem with urinary incontinence on a daily basis; her clothes, house smells very bad. She is nice person and has no kids and I'm sorry for her. I want to help her but don't know how to tell that she smells.

20

Answers

Jessieo
You may want to start another thread as this is three years old. My mom has lost her sense of smell and I had a hard time telling her that her pads were stinking up her apartment. Finally, whenever I visited I started taking out her bathroom garbage as I left, saying "you should really take this to the trash every day". Several times I mentioned that as we get older we loose our sense of smell. Finally, when she went to visit my brother I brought over several large ziplock bags and told her "I thought you might like to bring these with you to put your pads in, in case you can't get them out to a garbage can. That way they won't smell while you're visiting." She finally got the hint and now when I walk into her apartment it doesn't smell horrible. It was hard to do but it was well worth it and I really don't think it hurt her feelings. It was harder on me than it was on her. Also, I hope when I'm old someone tells me:)

Dear Jessie,

I know its not easy. With my own dad, I would empty any diapers in the waste basket every night. I would line the waste basket with extra bags, so if he wanted to he could bag them if I was not home yet. It is tough. Or maybe try a diaper genie to conceal the smell.

My Mom is 90 and she wears diapers, and the smell is overwhelming. I got a pail with a lid for her to put the diapers in but she doesn't always do it because she can't smell it. It is so repulsive to me but don't want to hurt her feelings and just straight up tell her that the smell is overwhelmingly offensive..anyone have any suggestions?

Six words: Dekor Plus Hands Free Diaper Pail. Worth every penny. While it obviously doesn't address all the myriad ways smells occur, it has dramatically improved my Dad's bedroom environment. Their special bags are worth it as well.

It's my understanding that with dehydration there is a stronger smell. I notice that myself, and have been trying to drink more water, not an easy habit to get into if one wasn't much of a water drinker :(

Is having a bad urine smell, normal? I mean if I go camping I smell from not bathing, but I don't have a UTI. I'm jist wondering if the lady needs to wash more carefully down there. She may have been used to only 2x a week, now that she wear Depends she must wash daily (and after a BM or any leaks).
But normal urine doesn't really have any odor, right? Just with diabetes, or sslightly dehydrated?

Oh the main point is that the UTI makes the urine smell bad.

Lisaluv - It sounds like your mom has a UTI with this behavior. Have that checked first before it gets too bad. My mother was acting the same way and she is a refined Christian lady. She was crying and begging to go home (she lives with me.) When I asked her if she wanted to go back to her home in TN she said no that's not home anymore. GA is home and she wanted to go back. She was home when all of this was going on. When the UTI was cleared up she told me about a strange dream of being a little girl and living in a house with women who fixed her meals and helped her into bed. She said they were nice, but she just wanted to go home and cried to go home. The dream was of me and her caregiver. She acted as though she was a different person during the UTI problem. She didn't recognize me during that time either. When I told her bye and left for work, she said "nice to have met you". She's pretty much normal now that that's cleared up. She still gets confused, but not completely wackado.

You can't pussyfoot around this. Incontinence is just a part of getting older, nobody escapes it. Start off, There is a problem I want to help. Emphasize how much you like and admire her, and don't want this to harm your relationship. . In a few words, state that you smell urine, and you are concerned for her health. . Be matter of fact, calm, and supportive. Listen to what she says. If she is very embarassed, back off give her a few days. Offer help, whatever you are willing to give. Keep it warm, caring humorous.

Loss of smell is an early warning sign of Parkinson's. My Dad can't smell at all. You're doing the right thing. Have courage and just do it.

Slightly off topic but my husband wears Depends and I bought a baby diaper container made by a company called Munchkin. (There is also one called Diaper Genie. Walmart sells both.) A collection bag clips on to hang down the length of the container and every time the lid is closed a shot of soda bicarbonate is released. The bags can be bought--10 to a pack--and each bag holds 10-12 of my husband's extra large diapers. When the bag is full, the two sides are locked and this full bag goes into the garbage--no further handling needed. Here in Canada the diaper container costs around $30, the bags around $4 for 10. No smell. Great convenience

My local $ store also has perfumed diaper bags on roll. Great if you are travelling and only need a disposal bag a few times on your journey. If you are really stuck you could also try dog "poop" bags--$1 for 50. Each one will hold one extra large Depends--you can also get bio-degradable ones!! (I am not sure if the Depends is bio-degradable!!)

Be aware of using kitty litter--especially the clumping type--you will end up with a load of "concrete"-- almost impossible to remove!! (Those of us with cats will know what I am talking about!)