Do any caregivers have knowledge or experience in medical marijuana with a prescription from a Dr. for Alzheimers or other geriatric disease?

There was a Hemp product without the high(CBD) being for sale as seen on Dr. Sanjay Gupta in my inbox for Alzheimer's, cancer anxiety, muscle soreness, a whole lot of ailments of the elderly, without a prescription. There is also a Company listed on the stock market that has a MJ product (also without CBD) that is coming to market early in 2018 that would take a prescription from a Doctor. I don't want to embarrass my Mother or myself among the family or her Senior Facility but want her to have access to any safe and reasonable treatment. Her short term memory loss is mild. She has improved a lot this last year with myself or family with her 24 x 7, she has not had any falls on her head since she moved to another senior facility. Does anyone have experience with MJ for there LO? How did the facility in which she might be staying or the family react?

27

Answers

1 2 3
Midkid58 is absolutely right about chronic pain and more people need to stop and think about what people who live with chronic pain suffer through every day. Imagine being her neighbor who has to break the law to get some relief. If she were taking legal opiods it wouldn't be any easier, in fact it would likely be harder in many ways. Even patients correctly prescribed opioids, which have their place in treatment, have to suffer through the suspicions and guilt placed on them by any new medical provider, pharmacy and anyone in earshot. The last thing they want to do is tell anyone in their lives about the pain medication they are on for fear of what people will think or what the wrong person overhearing might do. If there are other viable options anyone who hasn't experienced chronic pain or watched someone close live with it has no place passing judgment on patients trying them.

Dorianne: It is CBD oil. This friend birthed 5 of her 6 children at home for whatever reason, I do not know. She has very large babies and baby number 5 got stuck in the birth canal. She has HIE (Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy). She chose to be induced 2 weeks early with baby number 6. She weighed 10 pounds and 4 ounces! I don't know if it contains THC. cwillie, yes, that's right, CBD oil supposedly assists with seiures. In 2017, the infant, baby Faith had at least 15 hospitalizations due to high fever, clonic seizures and aspiration pneumonias and  is still tube fed WITH   BLENDED REAL FOOD made by her mother.

For nutrition, check out Magic Cup which can be used as a pudding or ice cream. It comes in different flavors. There is also Thrive Ice Cream and Carnation Instant Breakfast in different flavors. Something different to try. I believe there are sugar free varieties also.

On the same boat with my mom Dorianne..and I realize my comment is off topic as well!!

Dorianne, Glucerna is made for diabetics, I'm not sure how it is formulated.
If she does the ensures will she drink smoothies? What about custards and puddings?

So....this is off-topic....but my mom NEEDS the calories. She is tiny and frail and barely eats as it is. Because of her dementia, right now she has 4 food groups: white cheese, cottage cheese, Ritz crackers, and Timbits (doughnut holes from Tim Horton's - it's a Canadian thing).  I can't get her to eat anything else....if I make her a meal, she pushes it around on her plate and then puts it in the garbage.  (I'm not that bad of a cook!!!!)  The shakes have been a godsend, but how do I get the calories in her without the sugars in high calorie Ensure? 

Subduedjoy,
Now I’m concerned because after my mom went through multiple rounds of chemo, Herceptin and radiotherapy, among other things, I’ve been giving her Ensure everyday. While on chemo (back in 2010/2011) and after her mastectomy and other treatments, her levels of hemoglobin were always very low and she would eat very little, so the only thing that was helping us was Ensure. I can tell you for a fact that Ensure, even now makes a huge difference. My mom won’t drink nutritious natural smoothies (have tried), and she is a very picky eater, so if I don’t add sugar to drinks she won’t drink them, if the food isn’t tasty and easy to chew on she won’t eat (can’t blame her!). Her tolerance to salt and flavors in general varies drastically from one day to the next because of the side effects of an oncology related pill she’s still taking.
She also suffers from severe arthritis, her joints hurt terribly (thinking about the inflammatory effect you mention).

I’ve gotten to the conclusion that she is better off eating and drinking something than not eating or drinking!

It’s so hard as I'm trying to do the best for her but I wonder if I am!
Hope I’m not hurting her health more than helping her with Ensure!

@Dorianne, absolutely agree! Donuts cravings are a much more welcome side effect than so so many others that come as a result of taking medication that on top of everything, are not effective!

Again, CBD is non-psychoactive. It's the THC that's psychoactive. I take Not Pot's "This is Not Pot" and feel nothing. In fact, if you are looking to get high, then you will be very disappointed with "This is Not Pot."

Hi Dorianne,

Yes. Ensure contains maltodextrin (a starch sugar), which has an extremely high glycemic index. In fact, it's glycemic index is the highest among all sweeteners. It's extremely pro-inflammatory.

I'm on a very low sugar/carbohydrate diet, and I just did my first triathlon in November. The reason Ensure contains maltodextrin is not for nutrition. It's because maltodextrin is very addictive.

Oh cool! I didn't know that cwillie.

This is why info-sharing threads are so important! :-)

1 2 3