Does anyone know the secret to a long and healthy life?

I wish I knew the secret. I suspect a lot is heredity.

Is this unreal or what? Recently, my mom ran into a family friend at a bridal shower. The friend is 93 years old. She told mom that she drove herself there and that she also drives herself to church on Sundays and Bible Study luncheon on Wednesdays. ( She has always been very conservative, like my parents.) She then leaned in and whispered to my mom that she also goes to the Elk Lodge dance every Saturday night! My mom gasped and she said, not to worry. That she had discussed it with the reverend and he said there was no problem with her dancing. lol

Note: There doesn't seem to be an problem with her driving. She also runs her own household, gets her own groceries and drives herself to the doctor. Go figure.

48

Answers

1 2 3 4 5
Secret to long life ? I know it ISNT to bring a narc mom to live with you in HER old age. its only been a year and a half yet Im sure the stress I have been under has cut years probably from my life. If she dosent give me a heart attack before she gets her apartment it will be a miracle.

B12 deficiency really does mimic dementia too. I was angry when my Mom was in the nursing home cause they wouldn't allow me to give her supplements and what they considered adequate B12 in her blood work wasn't enough and she became very scattered in her mind again.

According to my endocrinologist, we have a vitamin D epidemic in the US thanks to the sunscreen industry who has made so many people afraid of the sun.

I was found to be Vit D defficient 10 year ago. That led to my body not absorbing the calcium needed to make bone and thus at 48 had developed osteoporosis. The other problem was very low testosterone due to an inactive pituritory gland concerning that. In men, testosterone provides the cement in building the bones from the calcium.

They have to check my red blood count for that is dangerous and comes from too much testosterone. All of this is checked by blood work every three months. I have blood work due this month.

Shaddy, it is now protocol to check for Vit. D, almost like a fad. However, discivering that has helped me, and Vit D has no ill effects. Anyone remember when B-12 injections really helped ouf mothers feel really good during menopause? Then insurance enters picture with rules, lab must show deficiency in B-12 or you don't get any.

jnelson, by the time it was discovered she had b12 def, damage was already done. We tried to tell her to eat better and she refused. (you could not reason with her about food) another threat to the older group is Vit D Def....
Most people don't even have that checked. It plays a huge role in health as the b12. I gave Mom injections monthly. I take b12 and vit D and a few others.

It is eternal life, imop.

Stay active, physically and mentally.

Shaddy, your mother's diet of salad and white potatoes is the kind of vegetarian diet that would lead to a whopping B12 deficiency. According to WebMD,
"You can also get vitamin B12 deficiency if you're a vegan (meaning you don't eat any animal products, including meat, milk, cheese, and eggs) or a vegetarian who doesn't eat enough eggs or dairy products to meet your vitamin B12 needs.... The risk of B12 deficiency also increases with age."

We give my 95 year-old mother B12 supplements even though her doctor says she has enough B12 in her blood. There are articles that point out that just because you you have the vitamin in your bloodstream, that doesn't mean you have enough in your brain. Lack of B12 can cause a type of dementia. Bingo!

I feel that I live and serve daily a life sentence for a crime I had no choice about committing ~ my birth. My perps are dead and my sentence has no parole for good behaviour. In this case the life sentence is truly for life.
Ok it's not all bad, I have a handful of very special people in my life and 5 gorgeous fur babies.
I've always tried to be good to others. I don't and have never drunk, I've smoked 25 cigarettes in my whole life. I don't gamble and I'd give my last penny if someone needed it. I stay mentally challenged with puzzles. I crochet for "pre-premie" babies because I once read that they were wrapped in serviettes because while garments were made for "micro-premie" babies when I started nothing for these other little ones and it broke my heart. I add a tiny toy for siblings and a heart for Mum & Dad's keyring.
But...I can't end this life until the Creative Being/God whoever say's that's it Lucy your time is up.
So live life to the full, be the best that you can but don't expect to be able to add or subract a nanno second to your allotted span.
My sincere apologies to anyone this post angers or offends that was never my intention when I wrote it. It just felt right to say it now, here at this moment.

I do think helping others extends life too. I don't mean care giving, but helping others out or doing something for someone else, especially when you don't feel like it. One of the things I have enjoyed so far about this forum is that there have been times I've come on here having had a rough day, then find the plethora of posts where others have had it much worse. So, sometimes I post just to encourage someone else in their struggles. There's something therapeutic about giving out of the poverty of your well that's healing, builds the mental, emotional and spiritual muscles. Hopefully it helps the poster, but if not, someone else struggling may read it and benefit from it.

1 2 3 4 5