Does anyone know of a program that helps to build or obtain a wheelchair ramp at little or no cost?

I have been my mother's caregiver for over fifteen years, and she is now on oxygen and can barely walk. She is ninety-two years old and I have a very difficult time getting her out of the house without a ramp.

My daughter helps some and when she is here, I go do our errands.
I know that Mom would like to get out sometimes though, to enjoy the sunshine and visit the senior center with me, etc.

17

Answers

Consider asking your town's Council on Aging. Some towns, such as my late mothers, actually have retired men in their 60's who are looking for someone to assist.

First contact your local agency on aging in your state; second check with your independent living center for people with disabilities; third call you information and assistance program or 211 for referrals to programs that build ramps.

Where I live the Office of Aging and Disabilities Dept.

We had a lot of luck using a portable wheelchair ramp for several years, to get up to the deck of our daughter's house from which we could enter the house directly. The ramps come in different lengths, up to 12 feet, and can accept significant weight up to 300 pounds on some. I'm including a website for discount ramps, some of which might work for you. Ours was up continuously out in the elements for 7 years without significant damage. Here's the website:

http://www.discountramps.com/wheelchair-ramps/c/3100/?CID=PSC-TXT-Nonbrand-Google-P-Wheelchair+Ramps+V2-metal+wheelchair+ramp&st-t=Google-Metal+Wheelchair+Ramps&vt-k=metal%20wheelchair%20ramp&vt-mt=p&trkid=V3ADW216784_16296037942_kwd-2231984028__108701012182_g_c__&gclid=COWG2qH0vdMCFY08gQoddx4J0g

Call your local library to get the name of RSVP - Retired Senior
Volunteer Program. They have all volunteers who will fix things and do just about anything for needy seniors over 55 at no cost. Call them.

Mom doesn't go very far but does need to go to Dr. appts., Hairdresser, and out for lunch so she sees something in addition to the walls of the house.  She is mentally alert, has friends over, and does very well for 105.  The caregiver cooks, cleans, helps her dress and bathe, and makes sure she takes her medication.

105 years old! Where does she go at age 105 ?? ... And Medicare pays for ramps? I never knew that. Maybe one has to be confined to a wheelchair in order for them to pay.... Well, bless your hearts, I hope they get on building that ramp pretty soon!

There's a company that sells build-it-yourself kits for wheelchair ramps. The ramp is designed by an engineer, using materials you can get at a big box hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot. If you know someone who has basic building and carpentry skills, they can put it together. Check out their YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_yB8KmloqU

P.S. I'm not affiliated with them at all. I learned of them not to long ago and just think it's a great idea and helpful for those on a budget.

My mom is almost 105 and lives in her own home with 24/7. While her caregiver can get her down and back up the 4 steps to the house, it is scary to watch the process with her holding on to the railing for dear life! I started with her insurance provider and was told that Medicare pays for ramps and I just needed a letter from her Dr. The Dr., who has many elderly patients, said that he had never heard about a ramp being provided but that he would write the letter. The letter went to the medical group that provides mom's care and they turned us down saying that there was no evidence of it being medically necessary. I have appealed and that is where we are now.

So, if you have a medical plan that provides the Medicare services give them a call. Talk to the Dr.'s office staff. Look around in the neighborhood and when you see a house with a ramp go knock on the door. Be very polite and explain your circumstances. I bet they will be most helpful.

Some Volunteers of America also have programs that will build a ramp if you buy the materials. They do other really cool services for free or almost free for elders.