How do I know if my Dad (82) with Parkinson's and dementia is in his last stages of life? - AgingCare.com

How do I know if my Dad (82) with Parkinson's and dementia is in his last stages of life?

He hardly eats, can't hardly walk, talk and tries to wander off. He wets himself and has lost pretty much a desire to live. Sometimes he talks kind of clear but is very confused and thinks everyone is robbing him or the neighbors are trying to kill him etc...

16

Answers

My late FIL was still driving when he had Parkinsonism, but he should not have been. He almost killed a man and his young son! The man knocked on my FIL's window and told him that when he had stopped for gas. He was so damn stubborn, though...didn't care!

When my wife was in the last stages of Parkinsonism, I discovered people like none I've ever encountered, wonderfully gifted, earthbound angels. They helped myself and the family to adjust to reality, gave us focus in our uncertainty, pain, and peace of mind. I pray the same blessings for you and your loved ones.

You are welcome! Hope it helps someone!

Sendme2help: Thanks for posting that helpful piece!

The Stages of Parkinson's Disease-Here on Aging Care
Parkinson's is a progressive disease, and symptoms worsen over time. This commonly used system describes the stages of Parkinson's and what symptoms to expect during each phase.
Use the search bar-see the 3 short horizontal lines above, in the blue navigation bar? Click there.
Peruse all things Parkinsons, then come back here for support anytime, Charlee05, this is your question, and you are the OP, original poster.
Remember your original question so you can find your way back.
Bless you and your Dad, and your family.
..

I'm sorry to learn that your dad has Parkinson's.

My father in law fell with his Parkinsons and broke his hip. Unfortunately he was in wheelchair for the rest of his life but had to be put on feeding tube due to aspirating. My mom was on pureed foods and thickened liquids with her end stage dementia. One thing on my father in law.....before he fell he got dehydrated 2 times was out of his mind and also had UTI. We found him out in the parking lot one time trying to jump on cars to stop them because he thought they were doing something wrong. Your dad needs to be checked for dehydration and UTI. I also agree that hospice is a wonderful choice if he is indeed at that stage. Good Luck and God Bless

This feedback has all been very helpful for me. My mom is not as far along, but has been on thickened liquids for several months. I order them thru' amazonsmile (which allows a % of your purchase to go to the charity of your choice) and it's much easier for her to drink the pre-thickened ones than to use a thickener on your own. My mom has aspirated a couple of times, ending up with pneumonia. So you are right that it is very serious.

Hospice is the best thing that ever happened to me and helping with my mother in her last stages of dementia!

At the end of daddy's battle with Parkinson's, he could only take the smallest sips of liquids. He ate popsicles, and that's about it. When he stopped those..and began to sleep all the time, he only had a couple of weeks left..if that. Daddy was bedridden for the last few months, he did hallucinate a little, but he was, overall, very quiet and sweet. Hospice was called in to evaluate when he could no longer swallow comfortably and he was placed in Hospice care. Liquid morphine and topical Valium applied to his inner arms (skin is thin there) and we kept him comfortable and calm until he passed. Nobody should be forcing liquids or food on your FIL if he doesn't want them. The choking/aspirating problem is very real and scary. I know it's hard to "let go" but you have to put your own fears and wants behind and let the natural course of things take over. Not saying it's easy, it's not, but peace for the patient should be paramount.