Anyone know about the drug Citalopram for anixiety and depression?

Is it safe for a women 85 years old in a nursing home to take 10 mgs. Virginia has some dementia and depression could be nursing home induced? I have refused any and all antipsychotic drugs. I have been googleing it but still cannot make up my mind to ok this drug as her primary health care person or not.Virginia has been getting better after 60 days in a nursing home but is restless and could use some relief. An ok drug for a 85 year old nursing home women or has anyone experenced bad side effect and not an ok drug?

51

Answers

1 2 3 4 5
Hello
Yes there are the trigger points that she had last night that i think caused her to get fearful. She was put in bed to early(8:pm it was still light out) a trigger point for Virginia or she asked to go to bed but changed her mine plus they closed her door t(his is a trigger point for Virginia) and she could not see her TV another trigger point. She is ok with the morning staff cause she knows them but the afternoon and evening staff have a lot of turnovers and she has trouble with new staff on occasion. The Doctor would suggest anantipsychotic drug. Virginia was very good today nurse said it could of been just a bad day. TY

Are there any other factors you can identify that might be upsetting her and causing fear and anxiety?

It seems she's reaching the benefit of the doses quite quickly. You might also want to discuss with whichever doctor is prescribing it what the options would be if she reaches the maximum safe dose but is still anxious.

Since my last post Virginia has gone up for the last 4 days taking Buspar from twice a day 7.5 mg to three times a day 9:am 2:pm and 9:pm . This worked for the 4 days but now Virginia is getting scared again and gets demanding on occassion i reassured her that she is safe and it looks like the dose will have to be raised to at least 10 mg three times a day. I am wondering now how far up i should go? I know some patients take as much as 60 mg of Buspar. Virginia has been helped by the drug Buspar shes been much better since taking it !

Hello Baralou
It really surprised me the Buspar has helped Virginia so quickly. She is more relaxed not hollering i was told by the Nurse on duty last night. So far its been the thing i been looking for to get relief for her as it does hurt saying no to the drugs offered but i thought they were to strong and i wanted something like this and grateful its working so far. I do see a more relaxed Virginia without the fear i seen before. I know its early and could change but so far working very well.I cannot tell you how much it helps me as well to know finally RELIEF for Virginia. No grapefruit or grapefruit * ty

AmyGrace
So far its looking good Virginia is not as restless as she was and quieter.After being with her for 4 hours today i was able to leave and her emotions were more under control than usual. Its early yet but so far so good! ty

I've known folks who have done well on Buspar alone and in combination with other meds for depression and anxiety. Just remember, no grapefruit or grapefruit juice. I'm glad they've found something that you are comfortable with and that gives her relief.

My mother was 100 and in a nursing home. She was the same - so restless she kept getting out of bed and the wheelchair and very unhappy. It helped calm her down. At that age, we told the doctor give her anything that will make her life less stressful and help her mood (as long as it doesn't make her ill). She seemed to tolerate it very well.

Oh my glad you asked
Virginia has started taking Buspar (Buspirone) this is her 3rd day i go every day and watch for any changes and or side effects. Happy 4th of July to all Supercharts

What med is Virginia on 7.5 mg of?

miface
Thats wonderful it has worked for as long as 4 years i hope and pray it works for Virginia and believe it will! The good news is i can see a bit difference in Virginia now after only few days and at only 7.5 that leaves us with lots of room for adjusting her drug up if necessary. TY miface

1 2 3 4 5