How do you keep your house from smelling like urine when your sick one cannot hit the toilet anymore?

And battles for the remote control? My 2 year old beautiful house is no longer clean and beautiful. My sweet husband has moderate dementia and wants to stay independent. But he spills EVERYTHING. And he breaks EVERYTHING. And now the house has that nursing home smell that I am fighting to eliminate. He bathes 3 times a day so he remains personally clean. Any ideas from others?

Also, a presenter at a conference who has Alzheimers recommended that we not change the channel on the TV from the program that the patient is watching. My husband watches the same few programs over and over and over again. Is this healthy for him? I hate to go into another room to watch a little TV and not be with him. But I hate to see him lose interest and start fidgeting when he can't follow my program.

How do others cope? And thank you all so much for your gracious advice.

14

Answers

Pull up any carpet. Clean the sub floor with diluted bleach or your choice of cleaner. When dry have lonolium laid. have the installer pull the toilet so the lino goes under the potty. Seal the bottom of the toilet with silicone and the base of the walls adjacent. If you don't have or can't install tile around the toilet area use a good quality washable paint. Put a seat on the toilet that has the gap in the front. Wash everything down daily or as necessary. Keep a bucket of bleach water and gloves nearby if safe. The silicone will prevent urine running under the walls where you can't clean it up. Putting an old towel round the toilet may also help and can be washed daily or put into a bucket of bleach water till you have a washer load ready

First time I noticed all tile bathrooms, with a floor drain, was 30 years ago over in Europe, great idea. Surprised it hasn't caught on here in the States.

Surprise, my neighbors did it not only for boys but they also have 3 very large dogs who need lots of bathing, muddy paws, etc. It was so much easier when the whole.project got done, but it was quite the hassle for them all to go downstairs while the main bathroom was under construction. Its almost an industrial feel, but their house is modern anybow so it fits. With different tiles & fittings it could work anywhere, and woodwork in batbrooms usually gets wrecked anyhow. Also the lack of ridge along shower make this handicap accessible.

Samara, I wanted to do this when I built my house - with 4 little boys it sure would have been easier!

A neighbor with similar problem had their bathroom remodeled to include a urinal and all tile surround, and their shower is customized so that the entire bathroom can be sprayed down with one of two shower sprays (long hoses). It greatly simplifies ALL bathroom messes to just spray it all down the drain. There's no woodwork in there, of course. I dream of doing this in my own home (with a bidet instead of urinal).

Here's a simple solution if hubby can't hit the toilet any more.... have him sit down to pee... I was overhearing a couple of young fellows who were in their mid 30's, former basketball players, who were in our office, talking about how much easier it is to sit down to pee then to stand up because of back injuries playing ball, and the fact they were so tall. And they were serious about this.

And hubby better not think it is an insult to sit down and pee like a girl. Otherwise, hand him the Comet and the sponge and tell him to clean up his mess. My Mom [97] is doing that every thing with Dad [93] to get him to wear Depends. It's working, recently Dad bought a package of Depends :)

Bac Out is another ( you can order from Amazon) does not mask odors like Fabreeze does, also I buy spray bottles of Enziyme, it really removes everything, dogs or cats cannot smell where they went prior to the spray. If it's carpet use baking soda in a shaker, sprinkle all over let it sit then vacumn up. Just read also put baking soda in little dishes & add a few drops of an essential oil, home made good smelling odor fighters. I put 2 or 3 drops of the same oil ( Orange, tangerine) on my house filter also then set the house fan to on instead of auto, whole house smells good.

I just got done training a new puppy, on new carpet, fun, hugh? A girlfriend told me about something called Nature's Miracle. The kind I found was in a spray bottle at a Pet's Mart, but I think it comes in soap form too. I does really work, "neutralizes" the urine odor rather than covers it up. Might be worth investigating on the web and see if it will work in your situation along with other good suggestions here too. Friend that suggested it has an older dog that was peeing on bedding, she washed items in it. I only had trouble with peeing on carpet, sure works well on that after it dries, (sort of stinks until dry).

There is also a product on the market called Nilodor, it's a concentrated solution and I find it even knocks skunk odors. You only use a drop or two, you can use this in addition to a mild bleach water solution to clean with.

This is used in barns and for large animals all natural you can get it online or I used a similar spray can formula from my local feed store this should do it...if you don't get it quickly the smell takes forever to get out of your home!

Bye Bye Odor™ is a safe natural microbial solution specially formulated to eliminate urine and manure odors.

Simply spray stalls, trailers, or kennels daily with enough to give the surface an even misting and within three days or less and the unpleasant smell will be gone. Bye Bye Odor™ is an odor clean up not a cover up.

Favorite Features

Safe
Easy to use
Eliminates urine, manure, and other unpleasant odors
Sizing It Up

32 oz Ready to use
4 oz Concentrate (makes 2.5 gallons)
100% Happiness Guarantee