How can I keep 92 year old from getting constipated? - AgingCare.com

How can I keep 92 year old from getting constipated?

I use Senna plus, prunes, prune juice, water, etc, but when those work, he has diarrhea we cannot control.

23

Answers

1 3
Detuchka, is he taking a lot of meds that can be causing the constipation? My 90-y/o mom is constantly constipated from all her meds (including Senna & Colace, which are supposed to keep them regular). If fiber (in the form of fruits, veggies) and her Senna & Colace don't work, and if she goes 2 days without a BM, her assisted living has a bottle of milk of magnesia for each resident that does the trick. But then mom has the opposite problem and I always make sure that if I have mom over and give her the MofM, that: (1) she has a diaper on, (2) she is always near a bathroom and (3) I have a fresh pair of pants, underwear & diaper on me, if we are out. We have had one too many disasters, so I am now aware.

my mom was very active prior to stroke. She enjoyed hiking, cooking, cleaning (yes she was a mrs. Clean) and spoiling her 5 grandsons. Now, mom has left side paralyzes she is no longer independent. I have her cook with me but it is hard mom only has her right arm. I have her dust, fold clothes, put silverware away. We do exercises, go to concerts, plays with kindle,books on tape, but this is not enough. Mom gets bored fast. How can I keep her busy. I have 3 young boys, running to 2 different schools. My dad also lives with us but he is happy just sitting and watching tv. Mom does not like tv. Would appreciate any Ideas to keep mom busy thank you

ive researched this previously . beets go thru your system like an overweight kid down a water slide . next best is white rice . it requires very little digestion and indeed has a higher energy return than the energy required to digest it . if you make cold sweetened rice with various fruits in it ( pineapple for one ) your elder will eat it . if they dont , threaten with them with that NH they showed on 60 minutes ..

Have you tried Miralax, one capfull every night with warm beverage. Keeps you regular without harshness of a laxative.

Our doctor has told us that at 92 Mums gut is so sluggish that the peristalsis that moves the food/waste through the body is no longer working effectively and that she now needs help on a daily basis to prevent constipation. we tried duclolax (a stool softener) it did the trick eventually but in the interim period gave mum terrible stomach cramps. Laxatives are the only thing that work FOR HER. Just remember since we are all individual every treatment has to be individual too it aint a one size fits all. SO while I agrtee with clever do check with your doctor - maybe one will work maybe not but trial and error is in itself a trial especially if impaction occurs as it does with mum

Stay away from laxatives as these are too harsh on the system. Marilee brings water into the gut, acts as a stool softener as well. Slow transit is the culprit. Sometimes one movement every three days, and just a few inches at that, is all someone can produce. Could be growths, polyps, etc. getting in the way. Be careful about impaction issues and c-diff. There could be internal bleeding causing the constipation, although constipation in the elderly is common- you need to 'ove' before you can move bowels. Being immobile, bedridden is a big factor.

Some years ago, after marrying my wife, we travelled to New Zealand from Brisbane and shortly after we arrived, I couldn't pass my bowels, I did not know what was happening or why, I went to hospital for help and to my embarrassment the nurse asked me if I inserted a sex toy, to which I replied with a resounding NO. I later found out that the condition is called "Compaction" or severe constipation (take precautions when travelling to NZ ?)

While enemas will clear a blockage here in the UK they are used as an absolute last resort, Fleet enemas are exactly that - fast. better to find a prevention that works for you rather than a cure after the deed is done as it were

Is he taking pain medication? Perhaps hospice would consider a trial of a drug called Linzess. Linzess is specifically for constipation caused by pain meds. There is also an drug called Relistor. You inject it into your thigh yourself or with help, and it produces a good bowel movement within 30 minutes, every time. This drug is also for constipation caused by pain meds. If he is not taking pain meds, perhaps a trial of Metamucil and Miralax with 8-10 oz. of water. Sometimes this works too well and you have to stop for 1-2 days, then start again.

ask her doctor to prescribe MOVICOL, it's a mild laxative, I take-it daily in 1/2 a glass of water.
Beware of constipation, hard stools can cause bleeding anal fissures that can cause
serious problems.

1 3
  • Incontinence affects more than half of Americans over age 65. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to ensure symptoms don’t interfere with your summer plans.
  • Incontinence is an embarrassing problem prevalent in the elderly population. Here are three ways to handle incontinence in the elderly.
  • Millions of adults have bowel control problems, but most are reluctant to talk about this condition and seek help. Get the information you need to start the discussion, explore treatment options and help your loved one improve their quality of life.