How do I get started with finding out how my parents qualify for Medicaid?

How do I get started to find out what my parents qualify for as far as Medicaid is concerned?
What agency helps to pay for part time home care?

21

Answers

1 2 3
I report my 86 years old father in my taxes. Will my income affect to get him in medicaid?

my Mom is living in assisted care but running out of money....what do we do now~ she is wheelchair bound but mentally in great shape for 94!!

I am caring for my mother in my home, she gets only 752.00 Soc Sec. owns nothing, no car, no savings. Now she is very ill and I will need to transfer her to a NH at some point. Can I apply for medicaid on her behalf, or does the NH have to do that. She already qualified for help on prescriptions. Living in Texas

My grandmother lives in an assisted living facility in Rockwall, TX. She is about to run out of money in the near future and we need to get her qualified for medicaid. Her monthly income is only $1200. We don't know where to start.

How do I get medicaid for both of my parents. Mother had a stroke, and dad is total blind. still leave in their home, but it is in home equality. need help leave in Dallas, Texas

Has anyone had the experience of transferring a parent from one state to another NH. The parent has Medicaid coverage in the home state. We are just starting on the transfer process and if anyone has tips, please share. Thanks so much.

My mother has been taking care of my grandfather for quite some time now. He fell and broke his hip. I need information on how to apply for her to be paid as his care giver. They reside in Miami. Thanks

All my mothers retirement she receives from my dads death is taken out for private insurance. She has nothing and lives with me. I want to get her on medicade so she can get more income from the retirement. The private insurance doesn't pay for much anyway. Why should she pay if she qualifies for medicade?

Generous - If your elder needs to apply for Medicaid between now and 2018, the sale of the house and what it sold or transferred for will be found out and there likely will be a transfer penalty attached to his Medicaid status. For hard assets, like a home or a car, the documentation of sale or transfer is recorded by the local assessor and in turn dovetails into the state's system. This information is just keystrokes away from being found out.

The transfer penalty is kinda sticky in that there can be exemptions to value of assets or the assessed value is higher than what the reality of selling the property is (so there is a whole fair market value issue to deal with), so if he applies for Medicaid, you will need an elder care attorney to sort the penalty out and possibly represent you in an appeal.

How the transfer penalty works is based on your states Medicaid NH reinbursement rate. My mom is in TX and TX rate is about $ 143.00 a day, which is pitiful low. This is kinda how it works: house valued & or sold at $200K; and 1/2 of the $ Dad is using to private pay for AL and 1/2 went to brother which brother has totally spent. Dad's AL uses up 95K and now Dad is in a NH @ 5K a mo. and about to qualify for Medicaid. Dad stays in the NH but is Medicaid Pending. All looks good for qualifying as his assets (100K) have been spent on AL and now on NH. Dad has no more assets. But about 3 - 6 months later, the asset sale or transfer of the house, will come up when the state does the routine search on the application. Then you or whomever signed dad into the NH, will get a transfer penalty letter from the state with the amount needed to be private pay before Medicaid will pay. The NH gets the letter also. So if the penalty is 100K and if you are in Texas, it is roughly 700 days that someone needs to private pay @ the NH.
This is a total panic situation 4 u & an awful situation to place your elder in.

The transfer penalty is such that the individual still qualifies for Medicaid but is ineligible for Medicaid's payment to the NH during the penalty period. Confused - yes; confusing - hell yes. Penalty set on each states' management of Medicaid, each state has it's own formula as to how they figure out the day rate and if it is set by the start of the month or exact date of transfer etc. It's a hot mess to figure out.
Realistically you'll need someone legal to deal with this if it becomes an issue.

Hmm...the money from the sale of the house (including what was already spent) most likely is going to be considered an asset of your dad's. These funds are probably going to count as available funds for payment of costs at the assisted living facility, *before* your dad is eligible to apply for Medicaid. If your dad's monthly income happens to cover the cost of monthly rent at assisted living, a facility might be able to accept him based on his ability to pay privately without worrying about what he has in assets. But if in the next four years he needed to apply for Medicaid, the asset transfer could still be an issue. Your best bet is to contact an eldercare attorney to be sure.

1 2 3