Just found out my 72 y/o MIL has cancer in her kidneys, what are her options if any?

So, after months of my husband and FIL trying to get my MIL to go to the doctor (I made a post regarding the situation not long ago), she finally went. Well, she was forced to go because her condition looked to be unbearable at that point, so my husband called 911. She'd been suffering from HBP, swollen ankles and legs, fatigue, blood in her stool, etc. She'd also been complaining about a pain in her side for nearly two years, but every time she went to get it looked at, all the doctors did was give her hydrocortisone shots. It turns out, that pain in her side was actually a large mass. After further testing (of everything from her blood, urine, and a colonoscopy), she was diagnosed with kidney cancer. It has spread to her liver. I don't know all of the details of her condition just yet, we only found out yesterday, but I'm curious what her options would be? She is in very poor health otherwise, she has extremely high levels of sodium in her blood, and I'm not sure what the doctors would be able to do for her? We aren't sure how long she's had the cancer, but I'm assuming it's been quite a while since it's spread to other parts of the body.

20

Answers

My heart aches for you as losing your mother is so very hard. You’ve made your mother proud by taking good care of her.
Thanks for taking time to update us.
God Bless! She is at peace now.
And what a great husband you have to console & support you.

May she rest in peace. Wishing comfort to you and your family.

I am so sorry for your loss. I'm glad her passing was peaceful and her son got to see her. And thanks for updating us on what happened. She was lucky to have you both.

I'm so sorry for your loss, and glad that hospice was able to make her passing a peaceful one.

Just wanted to share an update. They moved my mother-in-law from the hospital on Saturday afternoon to a hospice center nearby. She only made it through one night, and she passed away Sunday morning. My husband said she looked very peaceful when he went to see her, and that makes me happy, that he got to see her one more time without her being in any pain.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and condolences.

I am sorry to hear about your MIL. I hope your husband finds a good hospice provider. Will she go home with hospice or go to a hospice center? I have read on this site that if in a hospice center she may be charged for room & board as Medicare covers hospice services but not room & board. Just a FYI should FIL have limited funds.

Her doctor has urged her to go to a hospice facility because they've determined there is nothing more they can do for her. I also think it is because they no longer wish to deal with her as she has been spewing racial slurs toward her doctor. I understand that toward the end, some dying patients exhibit really angry behaviour, but this woman has always been an angry person, so it doesn't come as a surprise to me or anyone else that she will remain as such until her last breath.

Her other children were filled in on the next steps, but my husband has taken on the responsibility of researching quality hospice facilities around our area. No one else has been willing to do any of the work.

I honestly can't blame her. The diagnosis of course will have come as a blow; but besides that, and going on for a lot longer, poor renal function makes a person feel terrible. She must feel just so *ill.*

I'd question her detailed mental capacity when it comes to patient's consent issues, but not how dreadful this is for her. I'm so sorry for what you're all going through.

@Countrymouse I don't think she wants to keep fighting, honestly. She was in terrible spirits yesterday, according to my husband. She was also in a state of confusion. She told him and my FIL to "turn off the washer, to pull the knob to turn it off", so her mind is slipping. They are giving her pain meds to keep her comfortable, but that's all they can do, she's refusing home care, hospice, etc.

@Sunnygirl1 Yes. Well, they mentioned some form of home care, but she refused it. She doesn't see the point, and she's in terrible spirits. Understandably so after getting a cancer diagnosis. My husband went to see her last night and her doctors have all said that her cancer has spread farther than originally thought. They asked how long she would need to stay in the hospital, but they didn't really give an answer, so I'm assuming they know she's nearing the end. Also, the doctor called my FIL maybe 20 minutes ago and wants him and my sister-in-law (I guess she's PoA?) to the hospital, so it's not a good sign.