I have a job interview today, part time but any tips? I need this for me but also do not want to hurt her.

19

Answers

Not having a job means no earned wages. You will not be able to add new money to a 401(k) or IRA/ROTH IRA unless you earn wages. Think about how much sacrifice it takes to quit work to care for a loved one? Your own retirement is on the line. Who will take care of you when the times comes for it? Medicaid? Your own assets may be gone long before your parents' current age.

I was Self-Employed, but took some time off to help my Mother after her eye operations, etc. but also, during this time, ended up providing free daycare to my Grandchildren, that was 9 YEARS ago. Then I realized something. My Mother and her 2 younger sisters NEVER did this for their own Mother. They all worked full time, until they retired, and never had to take a day off to help their Mother (my Grandmother). The reason is that my Grandmother had a niece who was just 15 years younger than her, that niece was retired, and available 24/7, she loved my Grandmother, so they spent every minute of the day together, and also lived a few blocks from each other. My Mother and her sisters would see their Mother on weekends, but not all the time. My Grandmother was willing to spend the weekends at their houses, which was much more convenient for my Mother and her sisters. My Grandmother lived in very small one-bedroom apt. while My Mother and Aunts had large houses. My Grandmother had her own bedroom and privacy while staying with them. However, I do not have the same luck. I took time off from work, and I stayed at my Parents house, a TV which was very old, and no internet. Well, not that bad. However, my Mother refuses to come and stay at my house, no way, which would make it so much easier for me. I get so angry about the situation. I went to counseling, which did not help that much, and now feel that I need to find another therapist, I need help dealing with my stress and guilt. I always feel guilty, if I don't go to my Mother's more often. Thanks.

I so agree, Countrymouse. Even if we don't get the job or accept the job, getting interview practice is priceless. Smeltzer, it sounds like this one could have been successful if you could have worked out the hours. You must have impressed them. I hope you can find something that has the right hours.

D'oh! - Sorry, I'm as blind as a bat sometimes.

Well a good interview is never a waste - you've given your confidence a boost at least, and even knowing what wouldn't work still helps to clarify what you do want to look out for next. Hope the right job comes along very soon, some outside structure and independent income has got to be good news all round. Well done, happy hunting! x

First rule of caregiving...take care of yourself first. If you don't, you won't do a good job for your loved one. I know this sounds selfish at first, but think of it the way the airlines do: put your oxygen mask on first. God bless.

If you get the job, do it for yourself. With the right attitude and assisted living for your parent, you can make your own schedules work out. Otherwise, how will you yourself survive and eventually help take care of yourself in your own aging years??

I took on the 24/7 caregiver responsibilities for my mother with cancer, now alzheimers and some dimentia settling in. The warning signs she could not balance her checkbook started showing their ugly heads three months ago. The job has become progressively more difficult, espcially when she can't remember my name.HOWEVER, I left my job 16 months ago to care for her full time and have been without income since. I have been forced to turn down high paying jobs in other states. I am seeking some form of caregiver pay through IHHS but they are stalling and do not retrun calls. It is a tough battle. I am exhausted and funds depeleted, so I see why an interview for a new job would interest you. I say take care of your mother and hang up the interview for awhile. You can resume your life later again - don't worry -- seek GOD -- he will comfort and guide you as he is doing for me. My best to you - William

I find that seasonal jobs are a great way to go. You can work for a month or two and since it is only for a month or two they are generally willing to work with your hours. I worked at a halloween store for the last two months. It was great to have an excuse to get our of the house and have some face to face conversations with people. I only worked one or two days a week and it was always around my schedule with my grandfather-in-law, so that made it very convenient.

I posted kust above you Countrymouse.

Any news? Hope it went well x