How do I help my mom when her scalp itches? - AgingCare.com

How do I help my mom when her scalp itches?

Mom's scalp itches and she has asked a few doctors for answers and has followed directions with no relief. I say use Head and Shoulders. Does anyone have any suggestions? She has tried Baby Shampoo as doc said. Still not satisfied. Also, she is obsessive about her hair falling out regardless of people telling her it is normal. I hear 120 strands of hair is not excessive loss for a day. Thanks.

12

Answers

my mom was going through the same thing I use Sulfur 8 on her scalp everyday after washing her hair. Her hair is very thin though so I dont know how much you have to go through to wash it. You can use a dry shampoo.

I just put the lotion on the ends of my fingers and rubbed into the scalp.

My hair dresser suggested putting lotion on the scalp at night. It worked wonders for my itchy head which was just dry. According to him, a lot of the shampoos for dandruff just cause more dryness and make the problem worse.

I know that my mom started loosing her hair due to low throid. I would suggest using warm olive oil on her hair and scalp before a bath. Let it sit for awhile & wash it out. A gentle shampoo, some cream rinse & brushing with a bristle not wire brush helps stimulate the oil glands. Make sure that she drinks pleanty of water.

I actually add a drop of tee tree oil to a quarter-size squirt of regular shampoo. It has antibacterial properties. (I buy tea tree oil from Vitacost,.com, but it's readily available at any drugstore, I would think.) You also might try a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a quart of final rinse water. Then, the less she scratches the greater chance either or both those home remedies will be effective.

Boy, the typos in that last entry!!! Meant my MIL 'has taken' and 'FAN' of Dr. Oz. :0)

As we age our skin gets drier and drier. My MIL had taken Omega 3's now for over a year and not only has her 'dandruff' improved - but also her skin. So, I would make certain she is getting enough Omega 3's - most of us are not. I am a fax of Dr. OZ and he swears by a muti vitamin daily, extra D3 and Omega 3's. That's the least I would do :0) Anything 'natural' takes a while to work - so don't give up too soon. It think it was 6 mos or more before I noticed a difference. Don't give up. Also, some seasons - winter especially - can be so dry. Add moisture to your air with a humidifier or even boiling water on the stove. This helps my MIL a lot. (watch the pot though :0)

the local drug store should sel a product calld scalpacine , its for scalp itch. its liquid, its a menthol base so it tingles, and lasts for days. When i was going thru my divorce my " nerves" got real bad and i began itching, so much that my hair started to thin on one side. I found this stuff at the store and it does work

It maybe dementia related. My mom itches all over to no avail. She also thinks she is going bald. She can run her fingers through her hair and tell us to look at all the hair that come out and there won't be any there. I have tried every thing for her itching but nothing helps and she scratches till she bleeds. Another problem is she thinks she has worms crawling all over her. It's all dementia related. I have done a lot of research on it and some elderly people develop a crawly feeling that is 1 due to less elasticity to their skin and in their mind.

I would get some shampoo with tea tree oil that will help and I think it smells good too!