My grandmothers (90) creatine levels have been elevated for some time: In March at 1,35 mg/dl and in June at 1,41 mg/dl. The next blood will be drawn in just a little over a week.

My grandmothers GFR (MDRD) is at 44. That would put her at kidney disease stage 3 right?

She suffered two heart attacks one year ago and was diagnosed with heart failure stage 2 (HFpEF). In december last year she suffered from an intestinal obstruction and had to undergo surgery.
Since then she has been sleeping a lot, although it got better over time. She lost a ton of weight shortly before the surgery and after. She gained most of the weight back slowly. Otherwise I would describe her as 'fine', meaning, she isn't in pain or discomfort and she does do things she did before, like reading and watching movies, but not as much as before her surgery. She eats (three times a day and fruit) and drinks (milk, water and juice) normally, rarely complains about being full. She has high blood pressure, but it's being treated and under control.

What we don't understand is, what her elevated creatinine levels mean?
Are they elevated a lot?
What does kidney disease stage 3 mean?
I read, that with age the kidney performance declines, would my grandmother fall under that category?
Will my grandmothers kidney disease lead to kidney failure?
Is dialysis an option for someone my grandmothers age (given she wants it), if yes, when is the right time to start it?

I would really appreciate it if you guys could give me your perspective. Thank you in advance.

Both need to be at stage 4 heart or 5 for renal. My mom progressed from 2 to 4 with gfr. Creatinine was always high. This was 3 years ago. Whatever meds she is on will be fine tuned as disease progresses. At her age, dialysis will not be recommended. Her kidneys will shut down when gfr gets closer to 15. She will get sleepy but will not suffer from it.
As for the heart, g ma may show symptoms as she ages.
THe intestinal obstruction is resolved and even though she was weakened since age is a factor, she has rallied nicely.
Lain129 Aug 31, 2018
Hey this is Cady222 for some reason I can't access my old account so thats why I created this new one.

Thank you for your answer and sharing your experience. My grandmother was totally fine after her heart attack and heart failure diagnosis (even better than before, because she was treated for her high blood pressure and cholesterol). The intestinal obstruction and surgery (doctor didn't treat her right away because they thought that it was just constipation...) did a number on her. My mother nursed her back to where she is today. After she was sent home I honestly thought she was going to die at any moment because she was so weak!

I honestly thought that with a gfr of 15 people could still live relatively okay and dialysis starts at a gfr of 10. But I guess in old people it's different.

Thanks again for sharing and all the best to your mum!
(0)
Sorry, we are caregivers that talk about our lives caring for loved ones. We share our experiences hoping to help each other.

Your questions should be answered by the doctor requesting the tests.
Lain129 Aug 31, 2018

Thank you for your answer. I will ask all these questions after the next blood results come in.

Every person is different, I guess I just wanted to hear experiences from others. :)
(0)
Are you or someone from your family going to gma's doctor appointments? That's who should be answering these questions.

Is she being followed by a nephrologist? A geriatrics doctor?
Lain129 Aug 31, 2018

Thank you for your reply.
Yes we accompany my grandmother to her doctors appointment. She is seeing a internal specialist. After the last results he said, that he wanted to wait till the next blood results and depending on the outcome, take appropriate action and transfer her to a nephrologist if they get worse.

Regarding the other questions I asked in my post. He didn't say a lot to be honest, because I guess he wanted to wait for the next blood results. He only said that the diuretics my grandmother takes (torasemide) may cause harm to her kidneys, but she needs to take them because otherwise she will suffer from water retention.
(0)