Is this 'sun downing'? - AgingCare.com

Is this 'sun downing'?

My dad is pretty good of a day especially if he gets his own way .
Of a night he gets angry and can be violent and delusional .thinking he is ' getting poisoned ' or 'they have guns ' these are the nurses and doctors at the hospital while we are waiting for a nursing home .
He is in a special dementia room so he can't escape. I have caught him climbing the wall once .
Is this sun downing or sundowners ?
Thanks for any advice

3

Answers

Sounds like it to me, my mom would get very angry and hateful around 7pm. She would want to argue over the craziest things, our doctor told us it was sundowning and that we would never win an arguement. To just agree or walk away!

Hello Captainchrissie,

We have an article on the site that I am including in the link below that I think you may find helpful regarding what sundowing looks like and how to handle it.

https://www.agingcare.com/articles/sundowners-syndrome-133187.htm

I wish you the best,
Melissa R.
The AgingCare.com Team

I would guess so. MOM's doctor have her Trazadone and that keeps her from doing that for the most part.

• As a dementia patient, I can still handle the chaos of Christmas Day, but I expect there will come a time when I can no longer cope.
  • The stories we hear and the stories we tell define who we are and how we perceive our world. Alzheimer's is perceived by many as a story-stealer, but a courageous group of caregivers and patients aim to change the view of Alzheimer's disease.
  • People with Alzheimer's and dementia often experience difficulty with recalling the names and faces of their family, friends, and professional care team. In some cases, though, all they need is a little help to mentally connect the dots.
  • The AgingCare.com forum is filled with people coming together to share valuable information. We’ve compiled experienced caregivers’ best tips for medications that may help minimize dementia behaviors like wandering.
  • While caregivers and their loved ones affected by dementia should not give up hope of leading rewarding and enjoyable lives, it is important to be realistic about an Alzheimer's or dementia diagnosis.