Sometimes I ponder and wonder to myself, Is this the NORMAL for one who suffers from Alzheimer's? - AgingCare.com

Sometimes I ponder and wonder to myself, Is this the NORMAL for one who suffers from Alzheimer's?

My Mother is 86 years now and suffers from Al/s. Mom spends 22 hours out of 24 in bed every day, stating its easier on Her bottom. I try to keep Mom's bed tidy also Her bedroom, but lately I'm noticing that Mother is pulling out all of the bed clothes. Where I would tucked them in. It seems every time I enter the bedroom Mom's bed resembles a war zone ??? It's as if She's wrestling the clothes. ID LIKE TO KNOW IF THIS IS USUAL BEHAVOUR FOR AN ALZHEIMER'S SUFFERER ?

19

Answers

My dad was cutting up paper towels too. He also stuffed his pockets with paper towels and would blow his noise constantly in the towels then toss them out. He'd go through a full roll of PT in a day! I stopped making them available to him so he started on facial tissues. A whole box would be gone in a day. I'd find tissues stuffed on the sides of his chair cushions and a pile in the trash. At first I thought well, it keeps him busy folding them, cutting and storing them. But then the cost factor came to light. Now that he's in a memory care home, they don't allow scissors or boxes of tissue or paper towels in their room. He gets a paper napkin at all his meals and stuffs those in this pockets after eating. When we visit, I always offer him a new large paper napkin which he gladly accepts. He then tosses out the old shredded ones that he has in his pocket. Who knows how long it has been in his pocket or hiding place. I wasn't sure if this was normal behavior for Alz patients. I thought my dad was alone on this one.

Johnboy: So sorry for you.

Jonboy You have honoured and shown Your dear Wife the greatest respect, and cared for Her these past 7 years. It's time to let Her go to a that place where She will be cared for at tentatively round the clock, as You will need Your time to look after Your own health.

johnboy, my Dad hoard napkins to put in his pockets. It is just a part of the dementia disease. Yes, your LO is likely ready, past ready, to be in a place where she can have 24/7 care and you can visit her without feeling you are the sole provider for her safety!! I am sure your cancer treatments don't leave you with a lot of energy !! God Bless!!

My dearest cuts paper towels folds them put them in her pockets in her shoes, Today she refuse to take her meds an when she did she chew them instead of swallowing them, refusing to let me give her insulin shot. I think now she is ready to be in a safer place then what help I could give her. I seen her go down for the past 7 years but this past four months its been pure hell for me I am 76 and taking cancer treatments for over a year now. What do you think?

Johnjoe: I appreciate so much your kind comments! We are here for each other.

Thank You Liamlover47 it is great to be part of this wonderful Family of Caregive's Who are so giving of Themselve's in pursuit of helping Fellow Caregiver's. This time for Us is probably the most trying and difficult time of Our Lives.

Johnjoe: You're very welcome. We are a loving, caregiving support group who are here for you. ♥♡

Lifeexperiences: 2 reasons- #1 b/c it could help if the original posters heard the same word from two people and #2 that's who I am. You should not be concerned about my post.

Thank You All fellow Caregiver's for Your input and support which is a very solid crutch for Me. I feel that I can turn to You Guy's for advice and sometimes a shoulder to cry on. I love All of You very much.