Is this normal for this type of facility?

Mom now in Rehab at an ALF after smashing her head and fracturing her public bone. She's not walking well at all.
It's one of the facilities where there are levels, i.e., people pay a lot of money to buy into the place, pay a lot of money to live there while they are well. Then as they get older, there is a rehab facility, memory care, nursing home, hospice.

So, like I said, she's in the REHAB facility where they transferred her from hospital last night. I was looking around the place, I noted that the bed didn't have a rail. I'm thinking, gees, if she gets out of bed tonight, she's just going to fall on the floor.

Talked w/head nurse about this, who told me there's a law stating rails can't be higher than such and such; then she tells me that when people fall out of bed, they get written up! At night, people are stationed between the rooms to stop wanderers, which is all good and well, but my mother isn't even going to get to wander! She's just going to fall, plop, the minute that leg hits the ground!

Is this normal for this type of facility? In MA, rehab has hospital beds with rails! Down here, it looks more like a hotel room!

19

Answers

I just re read my comment. I should have said "1/2 hour bed checks" I was typing too fast.

@ igloo - she 'is'. She took a nasty blow to the head and because her pubic bone is fractured, she's not doing all that well in PT. CNA told me she 'walks' with walker but with wheel chair assist.

I believe she is going to remain in 'rehab' for the one hundred days allowed and at some point will be transferred to memory care and she will than apply for Medicaid.

My parents spent their lives saving the $30,000 they had a few years ago, now it's gone. But that's okay, that's what it's for. People are now living too long, period. The Health Care System hasn't kept up as well as they should have.

In 2000 when I was studying bereavement and elderly care issues, this was the thing of the future. Well, the future is here. Apparently, there are less geriatricians because there is no money. I've read that in 2013 only 300 graduated. I was appalled at that number because it was the profession of the future, i.e., with so many baby boomer's coming along, this was it.

So, the farce goes on. Those in health care still have to milk the system.

I believe we have too many procedures that have enabled us to live at most 5-10 years longer. And to what end? Dementia and other illnesses that affect our brains.

It's sad. It's hard on all generations. Let's face it, the Walton's don't exist anymore.

full bed rails are illegal in our state too but what is legal is a bed assist rail, it looks like an upside down letter "U" and it mounts under the mattress so you can use it to help you get up from the bed by bracing your weight on it plus its higher than the bed so it works great to prevent fails from beds if you position it right.

There are beds at different heights. I think it depends on what your status is, how much assistance you need to get up/down/transfer, and the risk of falling out of bed. The low bed is pretty great for my mom since she's quite short and has short legs. I can't imagine a 6 foot tall person trying to get up & down from it!

Sandwich, interesting on bed height. Does the facility have different bed heights? It seems that some of the residents would have as hard of a time getting downmto a lower bed and then again standing up from it. Maybe it is a new approach on restraint?

In the units my mom has lived in, the beds are very low to the floor. VERY LOW. If someone rolls out, they don't have far to go.

Bed rails are also considered a "restraint" and aren't allowed for that reason.

LittleDog2 - so how's mom doing? She should be at the point in "rehab" where she has been evaluated as to her progress (& the continuation of Medicare to pay for her stay). Going home? Or staying at one of the levels of care at the facility?

i would ask them to install a bed alarm
The facility where my mom is has 1/2 checks on each resident at night. But my mom is stubborn won't use her call light and gets up by herself. The alarm has helped with that.

In other words, THE FACILITY gets written up, not the patient.