Follow
Share
Find Care & Housing
At my moms assisted living facility, the podiatrist comes in once a month.  When needed, I get mom on his list for that day and he trims her toenails for her and it is covered by her insurance.

Prior to placing mom in assisted living, I drove her to the podiatrist for this service.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to Jamesj
Report

I googled "chiropody/podiatry services in louisville ky" and got 250,000 results in 0.61 seconds.

Try that and pick one you like the look of. Wishing you happy feet!
Helpful Answer (2)
Reply to Countrymouse
Report

Visiting nurses association will come to the house. Costs 5.00 - 10.00. If your community has this service.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to Bridger46164
Report
Shane1124 Nov 27, 2020
Where is this service available? I was a Visiting Nurse (in the US) & we RN’s could not do toenail clipping. $5-10? I think not.

The OP would be best served by contacting her Agency on Aging to find a list of podiatrists that make home visits for routine foot care. Many podiatrists do although with Covid it may be that the person will have to travel to the podiatrists office due to NH restrictions as Covid 19 has changed everything. My state is almost in lockdown (MD/ our governor reinstated stricter guidelines) here in the DVM area just prior to Thanksgiving.
(0)
Report
See 1 more reply
If there's a favorite hospital in your area, check its website and look for podiatric doctors, then call to find out if they're taking new patients.   That's how I eventually found an outstanding podiatrist, in a young practice, open to new ideas, and highly competent as well as friendly.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to GardenArtist
Report

There may be, but generally, for any facility, it is recommended that a podiatrist, or someone trained in podiatry office do this care because of the danger of any injury or nicking being slow to heal in elderly. This can be particularly dangerous for anyone with poor circulation, and can in fact be a deadly circumstance, due to non-healing and infections. In diabetics it can lead to amputation very often. Nails thicken with age and become more difficult to address, so for very many reasons the best way forward is a visit to someone specially trained.
Helpful Answer (2)
Reply to AlvaDeer
Report

Medicare pays for a podiatrist every 10 weeks. Its just the 80% but suppliment may pay the other 20%. Mom always had a balance due od about $15.
Helpful Answer (2)
Reply to JoAnn29
Report

A podiatrist can trim them. It is possible that the visit might be covered by Medicare. If not then it would be the expense of a a doctors visit. (your primary care doctor might also do this in the office rather than seeing a specialist)
Another possibility would be to go to a salon (if you can find one open) and get a pedicure. Good chance that the cost of a pedicure might be the same or less than a doctor visit. (one tax deductible the other not so factor that in) The pedicure would be more relaxing than the doctor visit.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to Grandma1954
Report

Check your Medicare Benefits book.

2 of my LOs had in home and residential care podiatrist services covered by Medicare.

Toe nail trimming was included in the visits from the podiatrist.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to AnnReid
Report

Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter