Is there some kind of plastic that can be put on carpeting to direct an 87-year-old with Alzheimer's Disease to the bathroom? - AgingCare.com

Is there some kind of plastic that can be put on carpeting to direct an 87-year-old with Alzheimer's Disease to the bathroom?

11

Answers

I also think the arrows are a great idea-but keep in mind-the safety of what is on the floor - as you do not want any possibilty of tripping onn something loose below foot.

Best,
Hap

Lots of good ideas! I started using bright orange arrows directing my mom to the bathroom a couple weeks ago. They seem to be helping the most out of everything I have tried. . We tried the floor cover, but it bothered her too much so I had to remove it. Depends help too, but she has a habit of "getting ready" before she gets to the toilet, therefore if they arent on her they don't help much. Another thing that has helped is, we removed her bedroom door and it makes it faster for her to get to the bathroom at night. We also have a magnetic type door stop on the bathroom door, so it makes it hard for her to shut it, when she is shutting all the doors in the house(one of the things she has to do) so having it open is helpful too.

SUNDANCER:

I also thought about bright arrows ... that glow in the dark. Keeping the bathroom door open after every use would help too.

-- ED

Most home improvement stores such as Home Depot or Lowes
carry a product that is used to protect carpet in a construction situation or "Open House" . This product is similar to a large roll of tape.
(maybe 36" to 48" wide and many feet long) It is stickey enough to stay put, but can be removed and replaced as needed.

I use puppy pads, one facing down and one facing up, on top of each other, and tape them down to the carpet so my dad doesn't catch his foot, with the blue masking tape and then in the bathroom, I also tape them to the tile. "Just in case" an accident happens, easy to clean up. I have found that the Depends for men are horrible because of a lack of a fly. I found underware for incontinence in the Vermont Catalog. Pricey, but worth it.

Runners would work if your worried about carpet stains but Depends are probably a better option. An 87 yr old with AD is going to need help each and every time they go to the bathroom. Find the time, strength and patience to be a caregiver would be my suggestion.

Be sure that whatever you place over the carpet is not slippery or obstructive as it would become a fall hazard.

Also, motion detector "nightlights" are a good addition to whatever you choose for your carpet.

Shelley

You could get them a port a poty for their bedroom. If they remember to us it it could cut down on mishaps in the hall and such.

If you're carpet is going to be replaced in the future you could stencil/paint some arrows on there (I think they even make glow in the dark paint!)

I jokingly call our walks to the potty "The Long Yellow Mile". Maybe you could just get yellow runners and make a nice long yellow mile! It became a wonderful friendly joke with my clients.

• People with Alzheimer's and dementia often experience difficulty with recalling the names and faces of their family, friends, and professional care team. In some cases, though, all they need is a little help to mentally connect the dots.
  • Wearing purple, using hashtags and changing your profile picture on social media won't end Alz, but there are other significant ways that you can have a beneficial impact on patients and families who are dealing with dementia.
  • The stories we hear and the stories we tell define who we are and how we perceive our world. Alzheimer's is perceived by many as a story-stealer, but a courageous group of caregivers and patients aim to change the view of Alzheimer's disease.
  • The AgingCare.com forum is filled with people coming together to share valuable information. We’ve compiled experienced caregivers’ best tips for medications that may help minimize dementia behaviors like wandering.
  • While caregivers and their loved ones affected by dementia should not give up hope of leading rewarding and enjoyable lives, it is important to be realistic about an Alzheimer's or dementia diagnosis.