Is there anything Grandma she can soak in? I can't get her out of the bath tub. - AgingCare.com

Is there anything Grandma she can soak in? I can't get her out of the bath tub.

I cannot get my Grandma out of bath tub. But she needs to soak her privates in the tub.

14

Answers

There are aftermarket bidet type washers that are available for a very reasonable sum. Very easy to install! We are plumbers and I can tell you they are more common than one would think!

Several years ago my frail, lightweight husband, who loves taking bathes, couldn't get out of the tub. As he started to stand up on the heavy-duty non-slip mat he couldn't keep his balance. It took me quite a while to help him out. After that we only tried bathing when our strong son was home, but the experience made hubby too nervous. He saw an ad for a walk-in tub. We had one installed. He LOVED it. Easy-in, easy-out. Sitting on a chair-height ledge makes it easy to get up. I always helped him with his bath (unless we had a bath aide in) but it was a pleasure. Now I love that tub myself!

But walk-in tubs are expensive! A tub lift is much less costly and will also allow a person who likes baths to soak.

Others have given very good suggestions for between-baths care. Pam, I love that squeezable sport water bottle idea! Wish I'd heard that years ago.

Any squeezable sport water bottle can be used to rinse warm water on the perineal area while she still sits on the potty. Even the old fashion hot water bottle with tubing will work. Just hang it on the shower rod.

My mother wears Depends type panties and she is so thrifty that she only wants to change them when she showers or if she has an accident, but she dribbles a little all during the day and it creates a problem. Check that out also. I try to remember to check my mother at bedtime and make sure her "panties" are perfectly dry or I have her change. That has helped us, also Vaseline is good for burning.

I personally could not do that with my 95 pound aunt. She is like dead weight on me, feels like a ton on my 140 pound frame. I would address why she has the rash in the first place or why she needs to be soaked.....and start from there. I say this hoping not to offend anyone's intelligence! I hope everyone has a happy Friday in any case.

Could you put a small kiddy pool on a low table and sit Gmas privates in that?

Good advice, DHilBe.

5:34 AM 6/27/2014
I read all the above comments... depending on your situation you should find some help there.
I want to say that Desitin is good, so is Dr.Sheffield's Zinc Oxide 40%, available at the Dollarstore... [ at least I t was a few years back] . But any Zinc Oxide will do as long as it is 40% !!! ....It was suggested for both my parents by their Docs. and does work well and heals fast. However should it get soiled, it is hard to wash off the skin. When you buy the Zinc or Desitin, I suggest you buy babyoil as well. Use it to clean off the sticky salves, that do not want to clean off well with a soapy washcloth... and the soap irritates, even burns the sore areas a lot more than babyoil.... Once the Zinc treatment is no longer needed, it is best to STORE Zinc containing salves in the refrigerator, since Zinc potency has a rather short life-span.
Where ever you buy the tube , make sure to CHECK the expiration date... I remember actually having to go to another store to get a tube that had a future expiration date,... NOT AN OUT-OF-DATE ONE !!! Stores do not have a fast turn-over of this product !! Best wishes to you both !

We got a bath lift for my mom (maybe like what Chicago1954 mentioned above). It is expensive.. about $500 or so, but it's really worked out well for her. youtube/watch?v=FspzPUmAW7Q Have no idea how to post a direct link, but here is a video about it.

If your budget allows there's a great walk-in tub that you can sit on a bench and fill it with water. I'll attach a link to the thing premiercarebathing/walk-in-baths/easy-bathe-the-original/ I'm sure it expensive, but if funds are available it would be lovely.