I work full time but would like to be home with her more.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
The most common question in the AgingCare Caregiver Forum is "How can I get paid to care for a family member?"

The vast majority of family caregivers do not get paid for the provision of care.

However, a loved one may use out-of-pocket retirement savings for this purpose. If a family member has enough funds to privately pay from savings, it is important to formally complete a Personal Care Agreement. Prior to receiving any payment, this document should be prepared to outline the services provided as well as the payment to be received. A personal care agreement can not be created retroactively to pay for past care.

The Caregiver Forum is a great place to come for answers. Additionally, I'd like to offer the following AgingCare articles as reference points:

To understand the purpose of and create a formal agreement between family members, please refer to:

It is important to note that most outside sources of pay will only pay for medically based home health care provided by an authorized agency. For a general overview regarding paying for care, please refer to:

And finally, if you would like further information regarding the decision to hire a home care company that fits your needs and your budget, please refer to:

If you are new to caregiving you will likely have future questions. There are many answers from experienced caregivers here. Don't hesitate to come back and ask.
Helpful Answer (1)

Unless you are able to not work full time and build for your own retirement plus go without work related health insurance, I would suggest looking into other options. I see from your profile that she has mobility problems.

What other kinds of care does she need? Does she have enough money to pay for care in her home? What kind of care does she receive now while you are at work?

Now, you could have a written care giver contract drawn up between you two with her paying you for her care plus paying part of your social security taxes. If you go this route, I would suggest having a lawyer draw up the contract.
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter