Is There a VA specialist resource here? - AgingCare.com

Is There a VA specialist resource here?

So I'm about to get into trouble AGAIN at work because I have been on the phone literally for TWO DAYS trying to figure out what I need to do to get the process started for Dad's placement in a VA facility.

The one place I called said that Dad isn't eligible because he has a 100% service connected disability. They gave me a number. I called. They gave me another number. I called. They gave me another number. I left a message. Sadly, I don't expect a call back anytime soon. We're not going to even talk about the hold times.

So... I was wondering if there was someone here who knew how to expedite this process or give me the right D*** information! This is why I don't like dealing with the VA!!!

I mean... Dad lost his sight fighting for this country. You would think they could pretend to give a flying flip.

NOT A GOOD DAY!!!!!

12

Answers

Good for you, Tiny, although I don't understand your reluctance, lol!

I ended up calling the White House Veteran's line, and I FINALLY got a response. I didn't really want to resort to such measures... at least the process is started.
Reply to Tinyblu

Tiny, have you tried contacting them through the website? Have you tried contacting the VS NH that is closest to you?

If the social worker is backed up, call the general number and ask to make an appointment with the social worker. I've had lots of problems with telephoning the VA docs and social workers, but always been successful with appointments. You will need to take Dad with you.
Reply to jjariz

No, I'm in NC. There's been some issues in this area with the VA. I've literally wasted an entire day on this...
Reply to Tinyblu

I'll ask again - Tiny, are you in the Detroit area, or in Michigan, which I'm assuming b/c Barb posted a Michigan link? Are you dealing with the Ann Arbor VA? Detroit VA? Other VA?

Don't take offense at this, but I think that your frustration and exasperation might be showing through when you call. I had a excellent response from the social worker in Ann Arbor, and got a lot of good information (most of which I've unfortunately already forgotten).

Different teams have different social workers, so you might have gotten someone who wasn't as helpful, or had a bad day. I read years ago that it's best not to call government institutions on Monday or Friday.

VA workers have a lot to handle, and someone who's already annoyed with them doesn't get far. Think about how you approach them, and try again.

I don't write this to criticize you; your frustration is clearly evident and I'm not trying to aggravate it. I'm just trying to share what has gotten a lot of information for me when I called the VA.

I also spoke with someone in the Michigan Veteran System - we spent a good 45 minutes chatting and he offered excellent insight and guidance.

I've been in similar situations of trying to find help and going round and round in circles, and in some cases it's been b/c of the lack of options available. But these situations were with private sector firms, companies with $$$$ in their brains, and a total lack of understanding on how to deal with someone who wasn't ready to be shoved under the truck just to get help.

I've also found that private sector care companies can be incredibly dishonest and misrepresent situations. I haven't found that with the VA.

MIVeteranHealthsystem@michigan.gov

Well... I've gotten absolutely NOWHERE with this little project. The VA is the absolute WORST organization I've ever encountered. I seriously think only about 5% of the people that work there give a flying flip.

Anyway, I have the name and the extension of the social worker for my Dad, but I CAN'T GET THROUGH!!! Her extension just puts me back into the annoying phone tree. When I dial zero for an operator, it still just rings and rings.

Any other time I've needed something done, I've had to physically drive to the facility and nearly demand to see / talk to someone. I REALLY don't want to have to take a day off to do this, plus possibly take another day off to figure out the other nonsense that's going on with Dad. This is STUPID!!!!

I think I'm going to have to just break down and start looking for a ranch style 2 bed/2 bath home for rent and take Dad in myself. If I am already managing this crap, I might as well do it all. It's not like I have a life of my own anyway. I'm SOOOO frustrated.
Reply to Tinyblu

Bumping up for more resources. Tiny, have you found out anything helpful?

nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/veterans-eligibility-va-nursing-home-care.html