Is there a tool I can buy to help me open the 'push button' door on the microwave?

I have arthritis and do not have enough power in my hands. At the moment I am using and 'egg-separator' which is very difficult. Thank you for your time. :)

20

Answers

For those just reading the title - this is what I ended up doing.

Whoo Hoo. Found an old wooden chisel handle. Had a rubber, self adhesive rubber table leg pad. Stuck it, trimmed it. Works lovely :) Fee free to use.
Thank you for the tool suggestion.

I was also experimenting with small hard rubber objects which allow you to press without having to grasp. I was using cat/dog toys which were slightly too large but there might be something in your house which would work. Less likely to damage microwave. I wouldn't use a prying tool.

You got me experimenting on the button of my old microwave. The handle of a screwdriver or a small flashlight worked better than my fingers. You've probably found something by now.

BuzzyBee: Five to six years before my mother died, I actually broke that button on my late mother's microwave. My husband and I were just visiting her at the time. We bought and installed a newer style microwave for her.

Another idea: they make a little gadget out of solid wood with a flat end to press crust dough into muffin cups...I would think a rubber band around it (for traction) might give you a better handle to hold...but all seem to require some strength.

I remember when I needed a new microwave, and the only ones I seemed to be finding had that annoying button that required lots of strength to push it to get the door open. I looked and looked and finally found one with a handle like on a refrigerator. I've been very happy I found this! I suppose the manufacturers of microwaves have saved millions of dollars by not having to put on handles.... but there are a few who are still using them. Thank you to the Oster company!

Maybe hold an unsharpened pencil that has an eraser on the end and press the start button with the eraser end so it won't slip? Maybe that can help you. 😊

Is there a way to take a rod or cane and uses part of your body like your shoulder to push?

I was going to suggest a handle or pen/pencil as well. That's what I had grandma use for years.

Where there's a will there is a way and AC carers have lots of will.